Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed Pentax Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Jammed Pentax « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Benton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I may be bringin up a "modern" camera, but I think my problem is purely mechanical. I recently acquired a Pentax ME in apparently good shape. I ran one roll of film through it, was very happy with the results, but when I tried to load the camera again, the film advance lever would not move. I fiddled with it a bit, but I couldn't seem to make it move, so I put the camera away.

About a month later, I bought a Pentax Super Program at a yard sale ($5.00!). I did the same thing, and the same probelm accored on the 2nd camera.

My question is two fold: first, am I cursed, and second, is there an eay fix?

Jim Benton

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Jim - in context you are cursed no more than any of us who venture into the realm of forty year old cameras which (mostly) have never had an overhaul or lube service.

The film advance mechanism (and thus the advance lever) is designed to arrest when the shutter is cocked. It is released for further fim advance when the shutter is fired. Or at least it "should"be. The feature is called "wind-lock" and the pawl which makes it so is in the mechanism under the baseplate. This is easily released with a toothpick or similar implement.

However - you would get the same wind-lock arrest if for some reason the shutter fails to operate and thus fails to release the wind-lock. So it also a possibility that the shutter is stuck.
You may then find yourself in the scenario of stripping out the mirror-box etc etc - and it then becomes not a little job.

Diagnostic approach would be first to establish whether the actual shutter is cocked or not. But if you don't know what the shutter blinds should look like in one or the other state - then you'll need a little digipic from someone.

Regardless - you might choose to assume (and hope) that the shutter is not cocked and that you have an easy-fix "wind-lock" jam. Five will get you ten that someone on this Forum has recently done a Pentax ME wind-lock release and can thus give you a simple instruction for release and lube fix. I will watch this posting sequence and if you don't get the answer from someone I will remove the baseplate fom one of my ME's and pinpoint it for you.

This mode of collective help is what makes this Forum the absolute best on the Internet (in my opinion).

Roman Dubravsky

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See topic " Pentax ME Super Ramblings" https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/pentaxmeramblings.html

There is solution of your problem. But some repair experience are requested.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration