Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x-500 / x-570 intermittend fault Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta x-500 / x-570 intermittend fault « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Lammert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo,
I have recently experienced an intermittend fault with my newest camera, a Minolta x-500 /x-570. About 50% of the frames appeared to be completely blank (no light reached the film). Closer examination of the films revealed that in some cases a small stripe (about 0,5mm-1mm) has been exposed which is positioned to the end of the travel of the shutter curtains. Examination of older films has showed that the fault has occured before but just with a frame here and a frame there.
My conclusion is that:
a) the first curtain only starts on its way when the second curtain is released
b) the second curtain is released prematurely together with the first curtain.

Has somebody got an idea how to solve the problem?
I have replaced the electrolyte condensor under the bottom plate, but the old one seemed to be still ok.
I would apreciate some help very much.

Kind Regards
Bob from Germany

Tim

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you try cleaning the shutter mechanism and shutter electromagnets.

Bob Lammert

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried to make the fault happen by checking the shutter with open camera back at every speed, manual and auto and checking the flash synch - it didn't occur. I habe sprayed a cleaning solution towards the magnet under the lens mount. The magnet is covered but I hope the cleaner has reached the magnet sufficiently.
Since I wasn't able to provoke the fault before the cleaning I am not able to check whether things have improved.

Tim

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spraying cleaning spray around the internals won't accomplish much. Even if you get the camera going, it may quit on you again when the loosened dirt and grease deposits settle back into the working mechanism. The electro-magnetic, electronic horizontal fabric curtain shutter of the Minolta X-570 and related cameras requires periodic maintenance to keep going, it's one reason why professional-level 35mm SLR cameras didn't adopt this design.

You have to remove the magnet cover, take out and clean the electromagnets and then clean the shutter tracks and linkage, followed by a careful and minimal lubrication. If the electro-magnets have lost their kick they may have to be replaced entirely. If you aren't willing to go to that much trouble, then perhaps you should consider another camera design.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration