Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning helicoid on Nikkor 50mm f/1.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Cleaning helicoid on Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 Ai lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Moffitt

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to pick up this cosmetically beautiful lens a a good price, but the focus, while smooth, makes a 'whispery' sound instead of the nice silent damped sound that it should. Is mt trying to lube this a simple recipe for disaster?

Edd

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like maybe you have sand in the threads--cleaning this can be quite a task--there are two parts to the helicoid, each has multiple threads--getting it back the way it should be can be very time consuming--even if you try to make witness marks and measurements. If it is sand, it will usually work its way out eventually.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a foreign body in the lens, it is more likely to be in the space between the skirt of focus ring and the barrel. Sand in the helical does not give you a smooth movement to the focus.

Cut some 1/4" strips of card thin enough to push into the skirt/barrel gap and clean the dirt out.

This is the first thing I do on a newly acquired second hand lens, along with cleaning the mount and the gaps between the aperture ring and barrel. You may be surprised at the amount of dirt you remove.

Jack

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have several old Nikkors that make that sound when the focus ring is turned. In mine, it's the grease (or lack thereof). I suspect the grease in yours is suffering from old age. It's also possible a previous owner has washed the grease out of the threads, oiled it (in an effort to "soften" the feel of the lens), or replaced it with an incorrect type. I have also occasionally seen old lenses (early AI mount) that did this no matter what type grease was in the threads. Maybe it's just a sign of wear. Difficult to recommend that you open up the lens if you haven't done that before, particularly with a f/1.2. I suggest using it as-is, unless it drives you nuts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration