Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

BALDAMATIC 1 BASE PLATE Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » BALDAMATIC 1 BASE PLATE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

STERIO

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,
ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE BASE PLATE
OF A BALDAMATIC 1,I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME
SEE HOW THIS IS REMOVED.THERE ARE NO SCREWS
SHOWING,AND THE WINDING KEY SEEMS A PERMINENT
FIXTURE.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those beautiful barrel-shaped Balda's are one of my favourite collection items and I have several. They are quite complicated in a couple of areas and my question arises as to why you need to remove the baseplate. The most common mistake of camera-tinkerers (and I too have been there) is a propensity to overstrip - and that's why there are so many paper bags of junker spare parts models !

On the Baldamatic there is very little under the baseplate and thus you may be taking an erroneous route to address whatever you perceive to be the problem.

What is functionally wrong with the camera?
What is it you are trying to fix?

roy collett

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, stuart.
the problem is when i turn the wind key,
sometimes the shutter fires.ie doesn't cock
i thought there may be a linkage under the base plate which needs attension.
would appreciate any help.

regards, roy.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'Day from Australia, Roy.
Yes - I thought you would come back with such symptom. Under the baseplate is irrelevant.

The shutter is cocked by the rack and pinion method. There are three possibilities as to the cause of your problem. The first two would come about as a result of some tinkerer not having assembled properly.

1. Under the top-plate you will see the rack and pinion.
If the mesh is misplaced by one tooth, the pinion on the shutter-cocking shaft will not be rotated to its full cocking extent - and the shutter will therefore fail to latch.

2. If a previous tinkerer has resoldered the wire to the rear of the seleniuum cell plate, it is possible there is a prone solder joint which can interfere with the cocking mechnism. I have seen this manifestation on several of your camera models.

3. It is possible that the shutter mechanism itself is not latching. In this case you have to expose the mechanism and sleuth why so.

My best bet would be item (1).

Hope this helps.

r collett

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,stuart.
thanks for your advise,i'll take a look
under the top plate.and let you know.
regards,roy.

rcollett

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,stuart.
problem solved.sticky shutter leaves.
having cleaned them the camera is now fine.
regards, roy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration