Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed Flash on Top of Camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Jammed Flash on Top of Camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krista

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flash is on the top of the camera (its a Canon Powershot S1 IS). The flash is stuck shut- but not entirely. Its stuck about 1 centimeter from where it would normally close and will not open when it should during pictures. If its pried open a few centimeters more, the flash will go off during picture taking, but it does not automatically open or stay further open unless physically held that way. I don't know if I should try to pry it open or try to take it apart (I'm not sure how to get into that section of the camera). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M Currie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since this forum is for "classic" cameras, you're unlikely to find a lot of help here. It isn't just an issue of being impolite or snobbish. I, for example, don't have any idea how the flash on a Canon Powershot works. Some of the cameras I use don't even have connections for a flash! My only advice is the classic advice my dad gave me when I was about 7, which has continued to be about the most useful first-step instruction in my toolbox: "Don't FORCE it!"

If this is a fairly expensive and recent sort of camera, it's probably worth taking or sending to someone who specializes in these repairs. If you can't see the mechanism or figure out how to get at it, it's probably not the sort of thing you should be trying.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration