Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spiraltone 135 lens/nikon mount Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Spiraltone 135 lens/nikon mount « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john murphy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a spiraltone 135 mm lens with nikon mount that was loose between the mount ring and lens body,tighned up the three set type screws but noticed the pointed end of one was broken,any ideas where to get a replacement?i am new to this hobby.also i have a question on the operation of this lens.the aperture ring is at the lens opening end and is aluminum and works but there is a second ring marked with aperture settings that does not control the aperture and moves independently of the other ring,does not appear to do any thing i am guessing that this was used with some kind of adapter lens that screwed onto the front of the lense.any help in the proper operation of this vintage lens would be of help.am planning on using it on a nikon fm since it is a manual set camera anyway.thanks

Glenn middleton

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This a preset manual lens. The second ring allows you to preset the aperture to the exposure meter value. You then focus with the lens fully open and then just turn the aperture ring proper to close down the lens to preset value. You do not need to take camera from the eye to set the correct value.

So for an aperture of say 5.6, you would set the preset ring (your second ring) so that 5.6 was aligned with the datum line. If you now turn the aperture ring from the fully open position, you will find that it will not turn to a smaller value than 5.6.

As for your screw, the loss of the point does not prevent the screw from locking the mount on the barrel. It is when the driver slot gets broken that you start to worry. Scrap lenses are the best source of these screws.

John Shriver

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's probably a T-2 interchangeable mount on the back of the lens, the three set-screws hold onto a ring that threads onto the rear of the lens. The setscrews allow you to properly index the lens, without the manufacturer having to get the threads to end at exactly the right place.

The setcrews are almost certainly metric.

http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

john murphy

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you for the answer and the operating instructions.

M Currie

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, I have one of those old Spiratone preset T-mount 135's, and if yours is like mine, you'll find that it makes a rather nice portrait lens, and renders out-of-focus areas very nicely, a quality popularly called "good bokeh."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration