Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MINOLTA SRT-101 - Light Meter/Diaphra... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » MINOLTA SRT-101 - Light Meter/Diaphragm Issues - Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

matt

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an old Minolta SRT-101. I replaced the battery and when testing it, the battery appears to work. But the camera does some strange things.

The light meter only appears to work when I click the diaphragm switch to fully open. When I do this, the meter goes up and down and seems to react to the light. However, when I close the diaphragm, the light meter shoots up to the top. When I open and close the shutter, the meter stays up there, for all the f stops -- except 2.8!

So basically the light meter only works when at the lowest f stop setting. I tried it with several lenses. When the shutter is at any other setting, the meter shoots to the top.

Also, the second I take a photo, the shutter opens fully and I have to click the diaphragm switch to reset it.

I don't know much about these, so any advice would be appreciated!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt,

If I understand your explanation correctly, there is nothing wrong with your Minolta. Since the SRT's meter reads at full aperture and transmits the actual f-stop information to the camera mechanically, you cannot stop the aperture down and expext the meter to read correctly.

Simply put - leave the diaphragm switch alone and take your meter readings with the lens fully open. There is a linkage on the body that will 'tell' the camera which f-stop is set. The diaphragm will close to the set f-stop when you trip the shutter and re-open immediately afterwards.

Also, make sure that you have MC or MD lenses - those couple with your camera correctly.

All the best,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration