Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Top cover Canon A1, Canon squeek Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Top cover Canon A1, Canon squeek « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maik Duwensee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I recently got a Canon A1 from ebay. It works fine, besides the squeek and that the lightseals need to be replaced.
While the second job is easy to do, so is the first one more challenging. Does anyone have information on how to remove the top cover of a Canon A1?
What 'special' tools do I need? Especially, I have a hard time figuring out how to remove the shutter release button. My internet search was not very successful so far. I found the German webpage with a nice description on how to lube the shutter damping mechanism from the bottom, but would prefer to do it from the top. Also I found the sketches for how to do it on an Ae1 or AE1 Program. But removing the top cover of an A1 is not outlined there. Does anyone have on of these 'exploded' drawings of an A1?

thanks
Maik

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Download the repair manual from;
www.canonfd.com/choose.htm
The shutter button assembly just screws on, remove anticlockwise. To do the job properly you use a flexiclamp. You may be able to remove it with a rubber glove. Flexiclamps are easily made from a piece of 3mm acrylic sheet 30mm x 15mm. Drill/file a hole in one end to be a snug fit on button rim. Saw a 5mm slot right up the middle of the acrylic, so when placed on the button and you squeeze the 'handles' the rim is gripped and can be unscrewed.

You will need a fine tipped pair of circlip pliers to remove the two circlips.

If you search the archive you will find detailed instructions on how to proceed. Remove small rubber cover in center of eyepiece shutter lever with a fine needle. Most importantly make sure that the viewfinder illumination switch is on. White dot visible on switch around battery test button, otherwise you will damage the contacts of the switch (SW3 in manual)

Ian Henry

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had success in removing the button using a nylon Ty-rap. These are ties used for binding electrical cables and can be bought at any good hardware store. The button was taped first of all to avoid scratches and increase friction on the Ty-rap. Using a wrench on the Ty-rap unscrew the button. I would guess that the button has a 5-7Nm torque.

Harlee

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you removing the top cover to de-squeak it? It can be done quite easily by removing the bottom plate. I've de-squeaked two A-1s and one AE1-P through the bottom and about 2-3 years later are still working fine.

Donny L.

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a quick fix that might save you a whole lot of trouble. I did this today and it worked. Remove the lens...then the black cover plate(just behind the bayonet mount) 4 screws in this plate...remove the upper left screw...use a small syringe with a short needle (1/2") and apply about three drops through the screw whole. Make sure you are holding the camera upright so the oil drops onto the gears. I learned this lesson the hard way. Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration