Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon 200mm F4 micro: how to remove l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon 200mm F4 micro: how to remove lens elements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leif

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I intend to clean and check for fungus the above lens. Removing lens cells with an indent on opposite sides should not be too hard. But the front of the lens has a cover (with filter thread) that shields the first lens cell. How do I remove the cover? I suspect that it might be screwed in place, but getting a grip on it to turn it looks tough, especially given the build in lens hood that prevents access to the edge.

Here is a picture of the front of the lens:

http://www.photozone.de/upload/917.jpg

Please not that I would like to leave no trace of my having removed the cover.

I have thought about using some calipers and rubber pads to grip the cover on the inside of the filter thread, and turn it that way.

Thanks, Leif

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leif:

I don't know, I've never worked on this lens.... but I have a hunch that the ID ring unscrews. Get a piece of plastic drain pipe, of a size to match the front ID ring of the lens, and cover the edge of the pipe with double-sided foam adhesive tape; then press this firmly against the front of the lens and twist counterclockwise and see if it comes off.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never handled this optic, but would add the following caution to Rick's very sensible hunch. If the built in lens hood has a rubber grip ring at its base, it is possible that the ring conceals access holes for grub screws that lock the ID ring in place. The ID ring is obviously the hood retainer as well as filter mount. Even if no rubber ring, the disassembly instructions may have you removing the whole front section so that hood goes rearwards - revealing grub screws. If the ID ring seems reluctant to move do not force it, Look for one or more lock screws.

As I said I have no knowledge of this Nikon optic, my observations are based on stripping Canon optics with with hood retainers etc.

Leif

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick/Glenn: Thanks for the useful suggestions. I will give it a go. There is one small grub screw on the barrel revealed when extending the hood. I am reluctant to try it as it is all too easy to strip the head. Hopefully the end cap and filter holder screws off.

Leif

P Laskey

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There may be more than one grub screw. I have the standard 200mm with hood, this has one hole in it but there are three or four grub screws accessed by turning the hood so the screws can be got at through the hole. If you can find one screw - which takes a while - there will be others in line with it.
PL

Leif

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks PL.

Extending the hood reveals a tiny screw on the front barrel. I decided to remove the screw. I then unscrewed the front barrel, which moved it forwards about 7mm. But once unscrewed, it would not pull off, and just rotates freely. On the inner barrel I can see two partially obscured largish cross head screws (not accessible to me) and a hole with what looks like some glass visible. Any ideas?

This could take some time ...
Leif

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration