Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus rc dead meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus rc dead meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,
The meter went dead in my RC , I checked the wire underneath the battery holder and it was fine.Ocassionally I can turn the camera on and off and it will start working again, leading me to believe the switch must be dirty. Are there any diagrams available or how do you get to the switch?

davidritchie

Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot answer your question directly, but I had the same problem with an Olympus 35RC and solved the problem by twisting the aperature ring back and forth several times in succession past the off position. This must have brushed away corrosion which had formed. Give it a try.

Dave

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I had tried that before and it worked for a while, now its completely dead.Shame too, its a good example. I could really use a wiring diagram so I can do a continuity check and voltage check acroos the wiring I can see, its still possible its not the switch........

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the leatherette below the viewfinder, and the cover plate you find there. In some cases the screws are very tight, so use a Philips screwdriver which fits well. The lightmeter switch leaf contacts which are actuated by a cam on the aperture ring is close to the upper part of the lens barrel. Do not scratch off possible dirt with metal tools, this will scratch the plating and make the contacts more prone to corrosion. I had good results by scratching the leaf contacts with a wooden toothpick soaked with electronic contact cleaner.

Dave

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I cleaned the switch as you suggested but no result. But , I found the problem! It was merely that the meter needle was stuck to the stopper. I cleaned that and now it works fine.I was afraid I would have to dismantle the lens to get to the switch, your advice had it working again in half an hour............

Winfried

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes you can tell whether it's a stuck needle when the meter works again after shaking the camera again. This sometimes is a hidden fault since it does not occur as long as you move the camera around, it just happens when it sits on a shelf for a while. However, cleaning those contacts is NOT wasting time, now you know that this fault will not happen in the near future.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration