Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2 + Vivitar 28-105 f2.8-3.8 i... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon FM2 + Vivitar 28-105 f2.8-3.8 infinity focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My name is Vladimir and I am from Bulgaria. I am new to photography, just bought a Nikon FM2 and Vivitar 28-105mm f2.8-3.8 camera set from ebay, but it seems that I can not focus to infinity, my split view finder always shows disalignment. Especially at 105mm. Any help?
I shot one roll of film but I am traveling now and I can not check the quality of the pictures, will develop the films in a month. Is the problem in the camera or in the lens?
I just do not have an other lens to check:(
With the CPL filter on the lens though the focus seems to be fine.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find a friendly draughtsman or architect and beg or steal a small piece of the draughting film they draw the plans on, prior to printing out/duplication. A small piece held across the film gate will act as a piece of frosted glass or focus screen. Test in bright light and focus on the paper screen first, then check the actual image on the split image screen. You can use ordinary tracing paper as a last resort.

Remember to select focal length and then focus. You must do this for every focal length you use, the critical focus changes as you alter focal length. Not by much, but enough to cause problems.

The above will allow you to check both camera and lens; if you get proper focus on the paper and not the screen, then the camera is at fault - perhaps a wrong screen. (Do not know if the screen can be easily removed on this camera?)If you get the same problem with the paper and screen then the lens is the problem.

The use of a CPL will not allow a faulty system to gain proper focus. It may allow a person to see the focus point more clearly if they have certain eyesight problems. You would have to talk to an expert in this field to find out exactly what is happening if the camera produces sharp images, but you cannot see the screen properly.

Hope this is of some use to you in the 'field' so to speak.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is more probable that the zoom lens is out of adjustment than the body. The quickest way to check is to go into a camera store and mount a normal Nikon lens (most AF lenses will fit on the FM2). If it focusses to infinity, you will need to ajust or replace the vivitar. If it doesn't, then the mirror angle of the FM2 is probably off. I'm betting that the lens is out of order.

Assuming that the lens doesn't focus to infinity, you can still use it in the range in which it will focus - just say goodbye to those scenic shots until you fix the problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration