Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Restitching leather camera cases Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Restitching leather camera cases « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Fallis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know what the best type of needle is to use for restitching a leather camera case for a Voigtlander Avus? I am assuming that it would be best to blunt the tip. Also, where do you get that coarse yellowish thread? Is the thread waxed?

Charles Fallis

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing. Is it safe to assume it is saddle stitched, or is it something else?

Biff

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A place to start: http://www.stereoscopy.com/cameras/re-stitching.html

Biff

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another place to start: http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/stitching/stitching.html

Mr. Dan sometimes posts here so maybe he'll chime in with a few up-close-and-personal pointers! :)

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most suppliers of good quality tools etc to the leather working trade will sell a small, hand held devise that allows you to produce a proper lock stitch. It is marketed as a stitching awl in the UK and costs about £8, complete with various needles and waxed thread. The tool has a hollow handle that holds a bobbin of waxed thread and a metal collet that holds the needle. You pick the needle size and point type for the job in hand. The tool will stitch any material and with pointed needles you do not have to pre-punch the stitch holes, just mark the spacings with a 'star' wheel.

When using the tool each individual stitch pulls and holds the joint closed. This is something that the long stitch methods described above do not do well. You have to work two needles and complete each stitch as you go along, to copy the original stitching pattern without this tool or a machine.

The tool is also sold by a lot of automobile restoration supply shops - in the UK try Frosts Restoration Supplies.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming the holes from the original are still intact, you don't need a needle biger than the thread you are using. I used upholstery thread from the fabric store.

Be sure and get a thimble too. Pushing that needle back and forth can be painful.
:)

Steve

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just been doing some restitching. I'm not sure if it is available outside the UK, but the thread I use is made by J.Wenzel. It comes as 15 metres on a card with a needle, and is available in brown, black (and white). It is exactly the right thickness for camera cases. Should the thread actually be yellowish, or does it just fade that way?

I used to get it from an upholsterers, though I would not be surprised to find it at a shoe repairers. I recently ordered some from http://www.leprevo.co.uk/threads.html. They have a £10 minimum order, but that buys enough to re-stitch maybe 50 to 100 cases.

don

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to get stitching supplies at a good camping/outdoor store.They are/were used for repairing canvas,which I don't think many people use anymore.

If you live near the shore,any sailmaker can point you in the right direction, inland ,any tack/harness shop should have supplies---or you can order online-

http://www.sbearstradingpost.com/leathercrafting_tools.html#Lacing_Stitching

a little hide glue goes a long way

Charles Fallis

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, guys. It's appreciated.

John Shriver

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just mount a properly sized sewing machine needle in an X-Acto pin vise. They come in many sizes. I get waxed linen thread at the local craft store. It may be necessary to split it to be thinner.

-----
Home page (with e-mail address):
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration