Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor Press shutter cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Prontor Press shutter cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dawid Burger

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I've searched high and low but could not find much on DIY work on a Prontor Press shutter that came with a Sinar mounted 1972 Schneider SA 65mm F5.6. It was working well at 1/15 and faster but slower speeds were sticking and it clearly needed a cleaning.

Taking general tips form this site/links, I manage to do it - it's fairly straight forward. Open front four screws then same with back four. Remove plate holding shutter leafs - note carefully where everything needs to go back to. I used Coleman fuel and an old toothbrush ( as it was hard to get to with anything else )to clean the 3 little cog wheels that was clearly sticking and that was running eratically when the shutter was triggered. While there i cleaning everything else where possible.

The shutter now fires crisp and accurately, I decided not to lubricate as it looks in very good condition otherwise and acc. to a prev post Prontor self didn't lubricate it either. If you think about how little work it is going to do as a LF lens in an amateur's camera, lubrication is more likely to cause problems than anything else !

Cheers
Dawid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cyclonite
Tinkerer
Username: Cyclonite

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dawid

I too could find nothing on the net accept this post. I acquired a #1 Prontor Press to mount a Schneider 240 G-Claron in. It jammed fairly soon after, so I followed your steps and found that the screw holding the slow speed escarpment had fallen out! after getting that back in and cleaning up in there, I found that there where Six shutter blades were there should be five. Now the shutter is crisp and accurate like yours. Funny thing is I got it cheap as there was rust on one of the blades....Guess which one I took out

Now I can get on with calculating the F stop Scale
Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration