Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contina jammed and won't advance. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Contina jammed and won't advance. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BHudson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone had experiece fixing a Contina III? This camera had be working great. Suddenly locked up and won't advance. The timer has been jammed since I got it, but didn't cause any problem if out of the "v" mode. Any thoughts? This has been a great camera up to know and I hate to part with it...but I can't see spending a lot on repair. I am hoping to unjam it somehow.

Rob

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep your shirt on. First, open the rear film gate, and remove the four small slotted screws so the shutter comes off the front. When the shutter is off, you can get a look at the film advance mechanism. There is a rack that cocks the shutter which you'll have to play with to find the right alignment, but first things first. Perhaps a spring jumped out of position somewhere. I have a Contina III. When I first got it, everything was jammed on it too, but it was from someone that thought they knew what they were doing. I loaned mine out to a friend, but I'll get it back this week. Stay in touch.

Rob

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition, the self timer will probably need a minor naphtha flush just as mine did. The slow speeds were also sticky. The flush fixed everything. There is a good bit of info on the Prontor SVS shutter on Dan Mitchell's site. He's saved my bacon a number of times. Here's the site.

http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/index.html

Bill Hudson

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rob,

I am a bit nervous about taking the shutter off, but will have a go at it and let you know what I find.

Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration