Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT-201 Battery Replacement /... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta SRT-201 Battery Replacement / Voltage Problems... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CharlesRoland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After inheriting a Minolta SRT-201 35mm SLR camera with a 58mm f/ 1.4 Rokkor lens - apparently never used and in the original box, I soon learned that the original Mercury battery is no longer made due to environmental issues. I heard that there is an MR-9 adapter and Silver Oxide battery that can be used instead, but the camera must be recalibrated in order to get accurate meter readings. Instead, I purchased a WEIN "zinc-air" replacement battery (1.35v mercury replacement for the PX625 & PX13) but unfortunately, the meter is reading at least one full f/stop off. My entire first roll of film was overexposed!

I am under the impression that the WEIN battery is supposed to be a perfect replacement with the only exception that it wears out after only a couple of months regardless of usage. What is going on? What can I do? Help!?

rick

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Wein cell should be a good match for a mercury cell; maybe the meter is out of calibration. Before you invest in that, though, try popping an S76 silver cell into it. With a higher voltage, a silver cell will give underexposure compared to a mercury or zinc/air cell..... you might just get lucky and find that it works out okay. I have a Canon FTb that behaves like this......

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Minolta SRT cameras have easily accessible voltage adjustment potentiometers under the bottom plate. One sets the battery test needle position and the other adjusts the meter reading. Forget the Wein cell and just put a rubber O-ring around an S76 silver cell, then adjust the pots under the bottom plate. Go to the following link for detailed instructions:

http://home.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/recal.html

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd recalibrate, if it's that easy. You could also skip the O-ring and get a 625 silver oxide cell. I use these in my Nikon meter and they last a very long time.

rick

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen a 635 silver oxide cell, only alkalines. What brand(s) are the silver oxides?

: ) =

oops

Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(or a 625 either)

: ) =

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Code is S625PX, size as old 625 mercury type but as cell is silver chemistry voltage is 1.55volts.

www.smallbattery.company.org.uk

Is the firm I use and their site info is spot on, no doubt you have your favourite US site.

Glenn

David Ritchie

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Silver oxide 625. I would be interested in learning from M Currie which Nikon he uses the 625 in and what if anything he has done to compensate for the higher voltage.

M Currie

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the type I have in one of my Nikon meters:

silver oxide batteries

I don't know whether that site is for the manufacturer or not, but that's the logo on the batteries. They've been in so long I have no recollection of where or when I got them.

In my other meter I have Varta 625U alkalines. They have held up pretty well, still registering proper voltage after well over a year. Alkalines get a bad rap for their voltage dropoff, but on a meter that has an analog battery check, such as the Photomic FTn, it's easy enough to keep track of them, and they are cheap and easy to find.

It is important, though, to note that the voltage of silver oxides is a little higher than even new alkalines. If a meter is very sensitive, that might make a difference. The difference on my two-battery Nikons is negligible, keeping in mind that no matter how accurately you calibrate the meter, the shutter and lens only adjust by full stops anyway.

miklos

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This link doesn't seem to work:
http://home.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/recal.html

Beaman

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to hurry up and download that page. The Google cache is still for for now.

http://tinyurl.com/j8vnn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration