Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter won't release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Shutter won't release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roy Smith

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI. I have a Minolta XG-1 and went to use it after being stored for a couple of years only to find that the shutter won't release. The old batteries were gone so I got a new set and they test ok. Now when I fisrt turn the camera on I can see the red indicator lights on the right side but when I hit the button, the lights disappear and the shutter doesn't release. I can't even get the film installed because it won't let me advance the film. Even bought a second set of new batteries. Camera worked fine before. Thanks for any help.

Roy

Winfried

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This seems to be the dryed capacitor syndrome. The capacitor is supposed to store some energy for the shutter solenoid. If it does NOT supply that energy any more the solenoid will draw too much current from the battery and will not release the shutter.

I do not know whether the capacitor(s) are on the same location(s) as on the X300 series (I have heard there are TWO capacitors which may fail). I think you will find information in the archives of this forum or somewhere else in the web.

Charles Miller

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've got a vintage Argus hotshue flash that requires a specific power supply configuration. It requires:

One 22.5v B.Battery (which I've already found), and
One 200mfd 30v capacitor

Each of these items is about the size of a AA battery, and they snap into the flash battery case side-by-side. The required capacitor apparently has a flat positive terminal on one end and a flat negative terminal on the other, very much like a typical battery.

I'm not sure of the age of the camera (an Argus C-Four) or of the Argus flash (no obvious model number), but I'd hazard a guess at late 50s to early 60s (?).

Can anyone advise me as to where I might find this magic capacitor?

Thanks very much for your time and reply!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration