Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 7000i w/promaster spectrum le... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta 7000i w/promaster spectrum lens focus ring stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

misi brown

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta 7000i with a promaster spectrum zoom lens that has a frozen focus ring. Has anyone else had this problem? Otherwise the camera seems to be working fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

M Currie

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First question is whether it is frozen when the lens is off the camera. This is an autofocus camera that uses a little "screwdriver" point in the lens mount to operate the focus. The lens is designed so that the mating part in its mount always turns when you focus. To disengage auto focus there is a little "AF-M" switch to the left of the lens mount on the camera (the camera's left, not as you face it). Make sure that switch is disengaged to M if you are manually focusing. It is very hard to turn the focus ring with AF engaged, and can damage either the lens or the camera if you force it. If it still won't turn when disengaged, see next step.

Take the lens off and see if the focus ring turns or not. If not, I guess the answer is that the lens is broken. There's a little gear train inside the lens which could be jammed or otherwise damaged, especially if someone tried to force the focus with AF engaged. Or perhaps it was dropped. I suspect you're better off simply replacing it with a similar used lens. However, before giving up, you might also try taking a small screwdriver and seeing if you can turn the little slotted head in the lens mount. If you hold the lens with its mount facing you, and the electronic contacts at about 12:00 position, you'll find the focus slot at about 7:30 position. The shaft should turn very freely, and visibly turn the focus ring. Try wiggling it back and forth, just in case there's some little jam or piece of junk inside that can be dislodged.

If it turns with the lens off, but does not turn when the camera's autofocus switch is disengaged, it must be a problem in the camera itself. You're stuck there with the decision whether or not to get the camera fixed. It might be worthwhile, but it might cost more than a used replacement of the same body. If it turns when disengaged, but the autofocus doesn't work, then the problem is also in the camera, but you can still use it as a manual focus camera. Older Maxxums are battery hogs on autofocus, and will often hunt for focus especially with slow zooms. You're probably better off using it manually anyway, even if you get it working right.

Richard III

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please go away... Maxxums aren't classics! Not no way! Not no how!

m brown

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your feedback. I have tried all of that and the focus ring stays frozen.

If it is attached to the camera, the camera is on, the camera is in AF and it will not take a picture because the lens will not focus.

the camera is in M it will take a picture but the ring is still frozen and will not let me turn it.

The lens is off the camera and the ring is still frozen. the screw you described turns cw-ccw back and forth about 1/4 of a circle.

The camera has never been dropped or forced in any way.

My last question is can the lens be fixed? If not, I will look for a replacement.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

M Currie

Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd suggest that you check listings for similar used lenses at a reputable dealer like KEH.com, and base a decision on lens repair on that. I'm guessing you'll find that you're better off replacing it.

As Richard III has so eloquently pointed out, Maxxums aren't classics, so you'll be unlikely to find any technical help in fixing it yourself here. Not just out of snobbery, but because most folks here simply aren't fixing that kind of equipment. Of course if the lens turns out to be worthless you could probably take a crack at it yourself, but I doubt you could ever find repair parts for it if the gear train is damaged.

Yes, folks, I know a Maxxum isn't a classic, but the 7000i is at least 15 years old, and Minolta no longer supports it, so what's the harm in a little diagnostic help? I apologize to any purists I've offended by burning up the bandwidth.

mbrown

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks anyway. I will get a new lens. This camera has always worked well for me and I hate to just toss it.

Thanks again on the feedback. Much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration