Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica Super TL Light Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Praktica Super TL Light Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a Praktica Super TL with a problematic light meter. When the metering button is depressed, the needle drops right down to the bottom right away. No changes in shutter speed or aperture make a difference. I figure if the meter was dead, the needle wouldn't move. Is it possible something inside is blocking light from getting to the sensor?

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To your closing question. It is most unlikely.

Current from the battery routes via the light-cell to the galvometer. Resistance within the cell changes according to the intensity of light falling upon it. If the cell is short circuit (ie "dead") then the meter will see no resistance and the needle will be deflect unimpeded.

The metering circuitry is on a small pcb around the film-rewind knob - and is easily accessed when the top-plae is removed. It is just possible that the light-cell is OK and that there is a dry-joint or detached wire.

On the aforesaid pcb you will see three trimpots.
Do not adjust any of them in any way. There is a setup procdure but you will never establish the proper settings again unless with the specific set-up data on hand.

Rob

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Stuart.

I haven't had the top off of one of these yet, so probably on the weekend I'll have a go at it. I would appreciate any further info on removing the top plate in case there are any surprises.

Lars

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,
Prepare yourself for a major battle with the return-spring for the frame counter. It is almost(?) impossible to put back in place. It springs open when you lift the top cover. For some reason, the inner-most point will not stay attached when you try to wind it again. I have been struggling with this now (on and off) for over a year, and still havn´t found a working method.
Any advise is welcome.

Otherwise it is quite easy to work on.

Rob

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Lars.
I'm not worried about the return spring. It's a nice toy, but it's not necessary. I've had other cameras where the frame counter didn't work. I still use them. Maybe I'll stumble across something for you along the way.

Steve

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The article on this site re. the MTL-3 will get you under the top cover without problems.

Have had 3 or 4 of these apart, and haven't had a problem with the frame-counter spring. The outer end of the spring fits on a post, and the inner end stays attached to whatever it is attached to on the dial!

Steve

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had thought this was the same as the later metal-shuttered Super TL models. Have since discovered this is probably not the case. Please ignore previous message. Apologies!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration