Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Deluxe II flash unit--bulbs, ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta Deluxe II flash unit--bulbs, batteries, and capacitors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Minolta Deluxe II flash. If I'm going to use this thing at all I've got to find:

- the flash bulbs (no marking w/size on the body)

- a capactitor. It says, on the side: "CAPACITOR FOR PHOTO FLASH 300 MFD 15 W.V Minolta Camera Co. 2-02-66" (how's that for a time capsule?)

- a battery which is the same size. It's a Ray-O-Vac. It says: "No. 220 15 volts. REPLACES 504, Y10

Does anybody have a source for this stuff? The oldest flash bulbs I'm familiar are the flash cubes. :-)

Tony Duell

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firstly the capacitor. If you have one, why do you think it's defective (have you done any tests on it). I think you'd get a replacement from an electronics shop -- MFD means microfarad (or uF), the nearest common values would be 220uF, 330uF, or 470uF (any should work). WV means 'working voltage', you need one _at least_ 15V, I think 16V and 25V are common now. The only problem would be fitting it, I doubt you'd get one that would clip in like the original. You'd have to connect the wires of the new capacitor to the contacts. It is important to fit it the right way round.

How big is the battery? Can you give aproximate length, etc. Some 15V batteries are still available.

And what sort of base/cap do you need on the flashbulbs? Does the socket look as though it takes a bayonet cap (like a car bulb), or 'capless' glass wedge bsae, or what?

CJ

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony--Thank you for the information!

Bulb--it appears to be more of the flat "clip in" type (also used in auto side marker lights). It would be closer to what you described as 'capless glass wedge base'.

Cap--I haven't tested it, but can only assume that it's dried out. Perhaps it hasn't? I'll drag my multimeter out and try it.

Battery--it's cylindrical, and about the same diameter as a AA, but about 2/3 the length. It's the same size as the capacitor; they fit next together inside the handle portion of the flash. At first glance, it merely looks like they're both batteries next to each other.

M Currie

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The push-in bulbs are either AG-1 or AG3, probably AG-3P ("b" is blue for color balance). Google brings up a number of suppliers for these. Here's one:

bpwltd bulb inventory

The capacitor should be pretty easy to replace if needed, though you might have to solder in a new one, since I doubt you'll be able to duplicate the fit of the original type.

I just found someone who still has bulbs and the batteries, too! I did not expect this, but here it is:

Photobattery.com

CJ

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome. Thank you for the linkage!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration