Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hanimex Practika shutter release jammed. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Hanimex Practika shutter release jammed. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

josh houston

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is an internal lubrication problem - but I'm hesitant to open the this camera up. I have no service manual or even a good idea of how it comes apart. I started but I decided to stop for fear of breaking it altogether. I belonged to my wife's grandmother and I'd like to fix it without destroying it in the process. Does anyone have any ideas how to dislodge this release?

Biff

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

give a look here: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/resetcamera.html

Screw up your courage.

Screw off the bottom plate.

josh

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a screwy little camera. The shutter release is at an angle into the body and operates on an offset cam rather then a straight presure system. Not very complex but not easy to reach either. All of the components are housed in the body rather then the base. I ended up unscrewing the shutter release and locating the whind lock but losing the cam in the process. It's in there somewhere... the only way to really fix this camera seems to include cutting through the leatherette and diassembling the entire body. I'm not sure this piece is worth the effort. The wiring is corroded, the meter is non-funtional, and mirror locks up almost every time, etc. Ironically, it is in nearly mint cosmetic condition. Sorry Grandma -- It's busted.

Stuart Wllis

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanimex rebadged several of the Praktica models.
A good start would be to know its Praktica model.
I suspect it is probably a Practica Super TL.

You won't achieve anything by stripping off the front panel leatherettes. You can access just about anything when the top-plate and baseplate are removed. The wiring from battery compartment will be what is known as "black wire corroded". The copper cores will be like black ash and non conductive. It is not a difficult job to replace the wire. This is par for the course with 40 or 50 year old cameras which use Mercury-cell chemistry.

Prakticas are a good camera for the learning of the SLR principles but they are not really worth overhauling. For the most part these East German models have VERY mild steel gears which wear and strip easily. The wind-lock is in the mechanism and not at the shutter release button.

However - expolorations on a Praktica will help you understand the spinning stacked gear principle by which the shutter speeds are determined.

The mirror is locking in the up position because the release pawl ( just accessible with the top-plate removed) is gunked up with dried out lube.

Josh Houston

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart,

Very glad you responded. I'm interested in taking a closer look at this camera. My repair skills are novice at this point and further examination of this camera may improve my understanding of older SLR designs. After hours of looking I only came across a few sites dedicated to Practikas, none of which had any actual mechanical schematics or a repair manual. If you do know where to find information about how to pull this thing apart it would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's written in German.

josh

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration