Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Water Soluble Bond - As Used On... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon Water Soluble Bond - As Used On New FD Lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On certain of the New FD lenses that contain large diameter elements, Canon 'glue' the glass in place before locating the screw/spring ring. Examples of lenses so treated are 500mm/f8 Reflex and 200mm/f2.8 internal focus. The retaining compound is described in the official English manuals as 'Water Soluble Bond', however I have had a Japanese manual translated and the description becomes 'Water Based Bond'.

As I have always found that ethyl alcohol dissolves the bond, I have assumed that the bonding agent is PVA or some longer chain polyvinyl. I recently acquired an unused, in original packing 500mm/f8, which unfortunately has been stored in the leather case for 20 odd years and thus has a few spots of fungus on the front element.

The bond seems to run around the complete circumference, instead of just three small areas and does not/seems not to dissolve in alcohol.

Before I try the water route, does anybody know the actual chemistry of the bond or if water will dissolve said bonding agent?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know the chemistry Canon used for their FD lenses but I might give some cents of my experience with paints. The difference between "Water Based" and "Water Soluble" is perhaps the key of this problems. From time to time I used water based paints. They are mostly based on polyacrylics or on polyurethane. These paints are water dilutable when still wet. When they are dry it is next to impossible to resolve them again. At least I have never succeeded to clean residues on a brush. I tried alkohol, lighter fluid and brush cleaner. I have not tried acetone but I would hesitate to use it in a lens. Sorry that i can not give you an answer more helpful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration