Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica BCA - Shutter release Locked... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Praktica BCA - Shutter release Locked/Jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Stenhouse

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of a sudden the cameras shutter release has locked solid. I have been using a cable release quite extensively, particularly for timed exposures. This still operates the shutter fine but the shutter release will not moved when pressed. Advice appreciated as this camera is excellent to use.

P Laskey

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a lock on the shutter release? (I have little experience of these). If so it may have been accidentally locked.
PL

Geoff

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a lock on the shutter release, but when turned either way it is still locked solid!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the problem is with the release lock. The jam could be due to dirt or wear, the use of unhardened or 'soft' metals in these cameras means that cosmetic condition is not always a good pointer to wear and tear of the internals.

Attach a lockable cable release and lock the shutter open on B. Now try turning the release 'button' back and forth. This may free up the lock mechanism, if indeed this is the cause of the jam. If it does not work on the B setting, try the same with the shutter uncocked ie just press the cable release as far as it will go.

Tony Duell

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a relatively common problem with the B series Prakticas that causes this.

The (chrome) release button turns in the plastic collar which froms the release lock, and then jams. As you noticed, the camera works fine with the cable release. And the problem is often caused by screwing or unscrewing a cable release.

Try screwing a cable release in again, and then turning it a bit harder when it's fully in. You may find the release button turns, appears to click in place, and then works normally. Unscrew the cable release carefully _without turning the button_ (that's the hard part) and it should be fine.

My own B200 suffers from this. I've not tried to investigate, since it doesn't affect the photos, and I suspect anyway it's due to wear in the relatively soft plastic collar that forms the release lock, so there's little I could do about it.

Geoff

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE: Advice on shutter lock - Praktica BCA- Thanks for the help everyone, I did what you suggested and the shutter became unlocked again!

Danflex1
Tinkerer
Username: Danflex1

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the advice given in this thread cured my shutter button locked problem on my bc1 thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration