Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 GSN - indicator lights fli... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Electro 35 GSN - indicator lights flicker « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Welcher

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I depress the shutter release on my GSN the red indicator light flickers, and at least with the top off, I can hear a slight sizzling or crackling noise - that can't be good. The amber light burns steady - no noise. The shutter seems to be working: slow speeds in dim light, fast speeds in bright light, opens and closes on B as it should. Sounds like some sort of dirty contact, but I've no idea where. The camera is otherwise in good condition, and I would like to have it working properly. Any guidance on where to start would be welcome.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flickering lights and the sizzling noise are typical for dirty slide contacts. When taking off the bottom cover you can peek into the bottom and get an idea where the slide contacts are. Spray that area with electronic contact cleaner, and operate the shutter release several times. Then spray again.

There are also some slide contacts below the aperture ring. When partially disassembling the lens barrel mind some very small steel balls providing the click stops. Clean the contacts with a q-tip moistened with contact cleaner.

Ben

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might also try pressing the shutter button repeatedly to sort of clean the contacts...Neither indicator light on mine worked reliably when I first got it, and this got them both working fine.

And, by the way, on mine, the red light comes on and goes off higher in the travel than the yellow light, I'd guess about halfway down.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is normal that the red light comes and goes before the yellow light lights up when pressing the shutter release slowly. That's the way it is supposed to work.

The yellow light MUST go off before the shutter is released mechanically. If it goes off after releasing the shutter by the downward travel of the shutter button in most cases the pad is defective.

BTW later models of the Electro series (GX, CC, FC) have similar meter circuits but avoided the plastic bumper pad.

George Welcher

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all. The contact cleaner seems to have helped. The sizzle/dirty contact noise is gone at least, and the lights don't flicker. Now the battery test switch or light has stopped working! This I think is a worn switch. I do have a parts camera. I'll have to decide if its worth switching -- uh, switches.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration