Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stiff focussing on a Nikkor 135mm f2.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Stiff focussing on a Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI - beginner needs help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Glombick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I bought a lens off ebay and while most of my experiences have been positive, this one turned out to be less than advertised. I should have sent it back, but decided to keep it because it is nice cosmetically.

The focussing is smooth, but has a fair amount of resistence. I have no experience fixing lenses or cameras. Is this something I can fix myself or should I get it done professionally? Also, if I get it done by someone else, what would it cost? I have to make a decision whether the price justifies keeping the lens versus selling it.

Thank you

PG

P Laskey

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would guess the grease in the helical has dried out or stiffened. Rectifying this would involve stripping the focus mount. If it works okay it's better to leave it as it is.
PL

Stuart Willis

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that you say you have no experience with cameras or lenses you would be advised to entrust the lens to someone competent. There are two helix' of course. A coarse and a fine. It is usually the fine helix which gunks due to dried out lube.
A smart Pro Techie could probably fix the issue in minutes. A microdot or two of mineral watch oil on that helix and vigorous exercising of such - will usully to the trick.

Tinkerers inevitably apply too much oil - which then seeps on to the iris blades. The wrong oil will also exude vapours to eventually mist the lens optics internal surfaces.

So absolutely - get it fixed by a Pro Techie who knows what he is doing.

Howie

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Service centers where I've inquired about this exact same issue won't touch a Nikkor lens for less than $85. It's a shame there isn't more info online to help with the disassembly and CLA of these older lenses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration