Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 'new' fd 100mm f2.8 - ball bea... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon 'new' fd 100mm f2.8 - ball bearings in mount rattle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Jones

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never owned a Canon camera before so thoufght I would have a go with an AE-1 Program. Anyway, I bought this lens (my only one) and when you shake it, it rattles quietly like a tiny pair of maracas (is that how you spell it?). I had a look at the mount and can see a line of ball bearings that are part of the mechanism. It is these that rattle. Is this normal? As I said I have no experience with Canon equipment. I saw a similar question on another forum but there was no answer to it. This chap had bought a set of FD lenses and they all rattled so maybe mine is ok. Are these bearings supposed to have some kind of lubricant on them?
Dave
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the 1.4 type mount as opposed to the cheapo 1.8 type. The 1.8 type tends to be found on the smaller maximum aperture new FD lenses, as these have small angular movements of the actuating levers. However the main benefit of the 1.4 type is that it allows longer reach internal levers to work smoothly. This is required when the optical configuration places the aperture mechanism at an extended distance from the mount assembly.

The balls are supposed to move about and DO NOT want any lubricant on them. If you ever work on a 1.4 type mount remove the rear assembly as a complete unit and do not separate the rear cover. The actuating unit very rarely gives trouble. In fact the only faulty ones I have come across have ceased to work because of missing balls due to poor DIY techniques.

I am some what surprised that the question was not answered on the other forum. It is just basic information on the operation of new FD lenses and is mentioned in all official Canon repair manuals

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration