Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gossen Light Meter Shell Glued ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Gossen Light Meter Shell Glued ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Esfandiar

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I know this is a camera forum, but I thought that since light meters are sometimes integrated in cameras, I would not be outside its scope.

I have a Gossen selenium light meter from the 60's. It is a handheld device and the needle is still very responsive. The problem is that the plastic scale stip inside has come loose and I would like to open the meter's shell and put the plastic strip back. I unscrewed the four screws on the sides of the body, but could still not open it. Is it possible that it is glued (e.g., to protect the selenium cell from corrosion) and in this case, is it possible to open it at all (e.g., by applying solvents)?

Thank you.

Esfandiar

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be more helpful if you had given the model type. From your description so far, I guess it may be one of the models with metal side plates and a plastic roller 'blind' incident light cover. On these models the side screws only hold on the metal plates. The two halves are held by screws, put in from the back. There are four screw and half of the location hole is hidden by the lip on the metal side plate. The holes are located approx 1/4" from the side plate screws - towards center of plate. However the screw heads are hidden under small plastic plugs, the same colour as body. Use a needle to remove the plug.

All Gossen meters I have come across use screws through the back to hold the case halves. On more modern meters the screws are hidden by the alloy data plate.

A quick search through Wallace Heaton's Blue Books for the 1960s indicates that my above description should be what you want. If not, let me know the model you are trying to fix.

Esfandiar

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Thank you for your reply. The label is gone from my meter, but based on pictures on e-bay, it must be a Sixtomat. Now that you mention the plastic plugs, I can see them on mine.

I will try and remove them delicately.

Thanks again.

Esfandiar

Esfandiar

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I managed to locate the screws. They were covered with a painted aluminium plug instead of a plastic plug, but I still managed to remove the plugs by bending them. The tape with the measurements inside the lightmeter was torn and I taped it back.

Thank you for your help.

Esfandiar

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration