Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon T80 help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon T80 help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nathan Gregory

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Canon T80 stopped working. The display shows ISO400 and wont change.If the shutter release is pressed it clicks once , it's as though the cpu is confused.The only other indicator that works is the battery check accompanied by a series of clicks and it also doesn't wind the film on. It was suggested that a dirty mirror box magnet might be the culpret, but I am not sure. It also seems likely that the lithium backup battery might be dead.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'd like to save this nice camera from the trash bin, but at 20 years old, it's not worth too much effort.

Thanks,
Nathan

Lance

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously the electronics. I would open the bottom and flood clean with 90% isoptopyl alcohol to see if debris could be removed. 90% of the time this will work.

Nathan Gregory

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.

I would like to try replacing the lithium battery too, but I cannot figure out where it is. Any clues?

Nathan Gregory

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, thanks to all here for this forum and the help. After digging around a bit more I found the battery (hidden up next to the flash socket) and checked it, and it was good. Then I wnet back to the mirror box and poked around, tweaked and cleaned until I managed to free whatever was stuck. The camera came alive. I put in a new roll and it loaded right up and appears to work beautifully.

Now I'm off to shoot some film!

Thanks all.

Nathan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DO NOT flood clean any T series camera, a 1940s FED it is not - you might as well put it in the washing machine on a hot wash, you will get the same results - a piece of junk!

Go to www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

You will find a download of the official Canon service manual. This will show you the location of the Li battery and a trouble shooting dialog.

Do not know about the T80, but the Li battery is situated over the prism in the T90. Looking at the diagram of the main flex in the T80, it could be in similar position.

If T80 behaves in similar fashion to T90, then pressing battery test button will produce series of soft clicks. As you have probably found out, lithium cell is purely for the memory function and does not prevent camera from operating normally.

Work through this in a logical manner and clean the poles of the electromagnetic 'switches' first. to do this they need physically wiping to remove any oil or grease. The manual clearly indicates any other switch contacts that may need cleaning. Be very careful if you move the flexi circuit, they can be very fragile. If the camera still does not function you will have to check the given data with a digital voltmeter.

Nathan Gregory

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool resource. Thanks. Unfortunately no T80 manual there, but they have the T70 & T90, so that should be helpful anyway.

But the good news is my camera seems to be working now. Thanks.

Nathan

Lance

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had good luck flood cleaning T series cameras. But I did neglect to add that batteries must be removed first. My Bad.

Remember liquids in and of themselves are no enemy to de-activated electronic components. Ya just gotta dry 'em. THOUROUGHLY. That's why the isopropyl. A non heated blower will help too. Don't inhale the fumes.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nathan,

Thought my T80 repair manual came from Christian's site. Will check and see where I got it from. Sorry about that, I do not remember buying it and that site is the only freebie I use.

Lance,

I know what you are saying about electronic components. However my work experience in the field of forensics and accident investigation does not allow me to be so positive. Anyway in the T series I am not particularly worried about the electronic circuits, it is the mechanical bits and the removal of lubricants that are of concern. You cannot control where the solvent goes in flood cleaning. It wicks all over the place due to capillary action and not only destroys the lube but also attacks the adhesive tape and sealant that seems to abound in these cameras. Also you can flush out small pieces of broken mechanism, which if not examined and identified leads to further trouble.

There is no doubt it works but I would rather find out exactly what was causng the 'jam'.

Graham

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
My T80 failed after 20 years use and has been at a repair shop for nearly 12 months while spare parts are sourced from USA. - a TDK made DC-DC converter needed to finish the job is apparently not available! I would try repairing it if I can get the circuit - is it in the T80 Service Manual? Where did you download your copy?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graham,

Just looked at manual, very strange as no circuit diagram or electronic components list. The title page looks official Canon. First time I have really looked at it. I do not have a T80 and have never had to repair same, so manual was just an addition to library - so to speak.

Do you know/have any info printed on said chip? Parts nos for T70 and T90 are CH3-0016-000 and CH3-0021-000 respectively. As I still use T90s, I have about 15 parts bodies - each purchased with different known problems - thus I have a very good supply of spares. Will dig out a converter and look at what is on the chip.

Many of the chip sets are custom jobs, but I wonder about a DC-DC converter. I can see it being custom to Canon but not for individual models in series. Still may be talking crap! Have a friend who has forgotten more on this subject than I ever knew. I'll dump a T70 and a T90 on him and let him compare the two converters - see if they have similar characteristics.

As to where I got this manual, I have to confess I cannot recall. It is a hard copy and I initially thought that it was from pdf that I had downloaded - not so, no sign of original download. I have purchased a lot of hard copy manuals from Old Timer Cameras. As I am trying to collect all their Canon FD repair manuals, I tend to buy a number every so often. Might have come from OTC; I am just working down their list and sometimes titles are not in correct order.

Will check their site later and see what is what. They have such a large quantity of microfiche that pages do get missed or updates are not included.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graham,

Yes it came from OTC and as hard copy is £40.00, I suspect my copy is not complete and was included by mistake! The good news for you is that I have just purchased copies of all their FD/FL repairs manuals (I prefer a nice, pristine page to those dark, illegible downloads). As this has cost a bit!!, I have asked if they will put the T80 circuit page into their fiche printer and run a copy or two. Well if you don't ask, you'll never know. So keep fingers crossed.

Glenn.

Graham

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
Thanks for making an effort to help me.
I downloaded the T70 and T90 manuals from www.canonfd.com/choose.htm and note that the two camera assemblies are quite different. I suspect the T80 is more like the T70 - the T90 seems more complex. I have not identified the DC-DC conveter function in the T90 but note that neither manual shows details of module circuits, only an overall block diagram and pictures of the flexible wiring assemblies. Apparently repairs are expected to be carried out by replacing modules rather than components in a module.
Nevertheless I have made some progress!
I got the DC-DC conveter PCB from the repair shop and checked it out and it seems to be working OK. It has a TDK Ref. No. PCU-211E. I started tracing out the circuit for the converter but now believe there is no need to repair it. I will return it and ask the tech to check it in the camera again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration