Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sticky stopper Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Sticky stopper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im working on a Petri color 35 and the meter needle sticks to the stopper. I have cleaned the stoppers with lighter fluid and a tooth pick and every thing is fine.....for a few days. Then the needle sticks again. Next I tried denatured alcohol to clean them ,didnt work. Next I cleaned with lighter fluid again and put a micro drop of shutter oil on them, didnt work, actually made the sticking worse as the oil kind of sucked together the parts. Any ideas on this?? Each thing I tried seemed to work fine ,but let the camera set a few days then the needle sticks again. What about a drop of Armorall?? Slick stuff. Any ideas??

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the stoppers are just wire or bent metal, I would look at the paint/coating on the needle. It could be the needle that is sticky. Some stoppers have plastic tips on them and these can degrade. I have solved the 'sticky' needle with a thin coat of clear nail varnish. As I am not familiar with the Petri, I cannot give a definite answer.

Dave

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Petri has hard plastic tubing on the needle and stoppers,I'll consider the nail polish but will try it on something else first.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Your problem is due to the plasticizer 'leaching' out of the plastic tubing as it ages. This is why it stops on cleaning and then gradually comes back.

I have solved a similar problem, by replacing the tubing on the stoppers with silicone rubber tubing sold by fishing tackle shops. I do not know what it is used for, but it is very fine bore and is non stick - up to now (approx 3 years). I think the tube comes in various gauges.

Glenn.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

depending on the size of the tubes, you might also try a bit of insulation stripped off of a suitable sized wire, or a small diameter of 'shrunk' heat shrink tubing....

Dave

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm, I actually have some of that silicone tubing, it is used to make "legs" or divide a thorax up when tying flies.I wont mess with the piece on the meter needle as my day could be ruined with a simple slip, but the stoppers might be easier to deal with.......

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration