Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM10 shutter cocked, but mirr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus OM10 shutter cocked, but mirror down « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Lee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an OM10 that's cocked and won't fire. The shutter button will only move down a very short distance. The mirror should be in the up position, but it's fully down. The electronics seem to work and nothing appears to be stripped, broken or bent, at least looking at things with the bottom plate removed.

What should I be looking for? Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing that I've seen in the OM10/OMG is a jammed shutter release rod. This is a thin steel wire that extends down the front of the camera from the shutter release button to the bottom, and it can bend and get out of the little slot they made for it. I'm afraid I didn't take notes on it and I don't recall exactly what it took to get it back into its slot, but once there it worked okay again.

Mark

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, Thanks for the reply. Actually, the shutter release rod is in place and working as it should. It pushes a long flat-shaped rod sideways, which runs along the bottom of the camera to the other side of the lens. At that end, there appears to be some kind of interlock that prevents the flat rod from pushing any further. I'll study the OM-10 online repair manual and see what's what in that area of the camera.

Peterclarke
Tinkerer
Username: Peterclarke

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up an OM10 with a jammed winder but all the electrics worked so I thought it was worth looking at.It turns out the fault is the shutter release.I can get the shutter to operate but there is no way the button will return to the correct position without the `long flat shaped rod` referred to above being pushed back with a screwdriver,(with the base plate removed)and then you can wind on and operate the shutter again.The shutter button has a very long travel and there doesn`t seem to be any resistance to it and I am thinking that there should be some spring somewhere in the vertical travel of the release rod to help it return to the `ready` position and of course if this happened then the long flat shaped rod would return of its own accord and the winding mechanism would operate.Having got Rick O`s excellent drawing of the top plate removal I am happy to do this but is this the route I should be going?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration