Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda Sensorex II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Miranda Sensorex II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brett

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently found a Miranda Sensorex II camera in my father's closet, and the light meter didn't work. I took out the battery (badly corroded), cleaned the insides with rubbing alcohol, and then put a new one in. The light meter worked. So I went home and put some film in. I only had colour, so I changed the dial on the top to colour, and left the aperture dial under it at 5.6. Now the needle doesn't move anymore. How can I fix this?

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do believe the Sensorex II has a battery power Switch around the film rewind knob.
Could it be that you have left the camera powered up and thus drained the battery?

The dial which you changed to "Color" is ony a reminder for the user. It has no functionality.
Ambient light conditions and the settings of your filmspeed ASA figure and shutter speed could quite easily conspire to render the meter needle incapable of response.

To retest - set shutter speed to 1/60 sec; the lens aperture to ƒ4 and, your ASA to 100.
You should get reasonable meter activity in just about any reasonable daylight conditions.

Question:

Since the Sensorex uses a Mercury Cell and such are no longer available, what battery type and series number did you use?

Casey

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bret,
The color dial is just for a reminder, it does not do anything as a setting.
The aperture dial should be set to the lens speed as is printed on the front of the lens.
Those corroded contacts may need some more cleaning, I use a small piece of very fine sandpaper, glued to the end of a pencil.
Casey.

George Welcher

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a small black switch, beside the film type dial which turns the meter on and off. I believe pushing it forward turns it on. I can't verify that easily since the metre doesn't work on mine either! You may have just inadvertently turned the meter off when you changed the dial setting. The dial BTW is only a reminder and has no effect on exposure, as far as I know. Also, don't forget to adjust the meter for the maximum aperature of the lens you are using. That setting is on the other side of the dial from the switch.

wdegroot

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the sensorex has the ability to oper aperture meter with any lens, even if that lens was just ( extreme example) taped to thew front of the camera.
the dial on the left frone, as was seat, should match the max apeerture of the lens being used.
avaoid the use of a alkaline cell even whan it is touted as being an exact replacement.
an alkaline cell, when used to replace a mercury cell give poor meter readings. the reason is that a alkaline cell discharges and the voltage chages as the cell gets older. You might say an alkaline cell has a "sloping discharge rate"
a zinc-air hearing aid cell works well. it ids 1.4v, very close to the original 1.35 v of the mercury cell. and more importantly, it has the same charatereistics. it keeps a constant 1.4v and then dies quicky. so you with reasonable thjought know when the cell is giving bad readings.
they are sold here in the usa in pharmacy dept ( you may call it "chemist's dept" noyt in the electronic's dept.
a wein cell is about the same but costs $5.00 usd
and the hearing aid cell sells for $5.00 usd for a 6 pack. a trick is to put crazy glue ( carefully)
cover 2 of the 4 holes in the cell,( slows down the drying out process). and to re-cover the tiny holes when the camera is not in use.
humidity is a factor in the life of these cells.
even new and unused cells may die if stored for loner periods of time. so don't "stock up"

the miranda's were a strongly designed camera.
and the only fault with a sensorex if it was heavily used is the wire connecting the mirror to the metering circuit may eventually fail.
the meter is behind slits in the mirror.

there are YS screw adapter mount for the miranda ( rare) and t-4 mounts and lenses made by vivitar and soligor. I believe that a vivitar TX mount lens will work on a sensorex with the proper T4 mount adapter. this will open the possibilities of many different lenses that will work on sensorexes. be sure any adapter you purchase has the external meter couping arm.

wdegroot

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for a manual go to www.butkus.org
scroll down th chinon click and look for the sensorex manual - free.

Brett

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, upon review of the manual I'm an idiot. I turned the light meter off, and it didn't work.

Thanks a lot!

wdegroot

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't think about it anymore, I have had mine for almost 40 years,
it's when i cannot figure out something on another camera...
the sensorex is a great camera. I have several.
the original lenses seem to have sharply increased
in price, don't know why.
the t4 lenses are still reasonable.
be sure the t4 mount has the external arm.
there are also ys mounts - like t ot t2 but with auto diaphragm. I have 4 and one of the mounts is damaged.
the t4 mounts seem ok. and I have 1 extra.
there are NO tx mounts for miranda.

but I have a tx lens and will try it on a t4 mount, I think it will work.
why tx lenses? they have newer lenses that are
more modern lenses like short zooms.
strange: a lens with mount is cheaper or the same price as just the mount.

Larry

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for a battery retainer for the back of my Sensorex II. I lost the original at an outdoor graduation. If anyone knows where one can be found PLEASE contact me. Thank You!! Larry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration