Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor svs shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Prontor svs shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

r collett

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
i have a problem with a prontor svs shutter.
i have cleaned all the escapements, and on
'x'sync.all speeds work fine.
the problem is when its set to'v'sync.
(delayed action)and the shutter is fired,
the shutter blades open a fraction, exposing
the diaphram.the delay escapement runs down
fine, and the shutter fires.
any help would be appreciated.
regards, roy

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A fairly easy issue to sleuth.
On V Synch' the shutter blades should move about 1mm as the main cam is released by the shutter button. But the bladed should NOT open.

The activator ring which drives the shutter blades is blocked at the output of the timer escapement.
When the timer runs down, the blocking piece is shifted out of the way.

The blocking piece can easily be seen as a metal lug. Sometimes it gets bent.
I would take bets that it is bent. The blocking action is therefore delayed and thus allowing the shutter activator ring to rotate more than it should. Hence the excessive initial opening of the shutter blades on V Synch when the shutter button is depressed.

Straighten the blocking lug and then apply a little light grease on the lug.

r collett

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,stuart.
thanks for the info.
can you point me as to where this blocking
lug is situated, in relation to the s/timer
or shutter speed escapements.
regards, roy

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you open the shutter, on the right hand side end of the self timer gear assembly you will see a teethed disk with a cutout. The cut out should point towards the speed escapement gear assembly with the shutter uncocked, and there should be a small tab rising from the shutter bottom parts just in front of that cutout.

You should bend this tab a little forward. However, the SVS self timer control is a bit tricky to adjust, since it all depends on properly bending of two tabs. The Prontor SVS manual has one or two complete pages explaining proper adjustment.

r collett

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, winfried.
thanks for the info.
i had already sused what was wrong, by
looking at another shutter.
the part you mension did indeed need bending
forward by about 1mm.how it got into this state
i don't know.
anyway the shutter is now perfect.
thanks once again.
regards, roy.
out of interest the camera is a graphic 35.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration