Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Battery Praktica LTL and Super TL Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Battery Praktica LTL and Super TL « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marc

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I'm just beginning a collection of old reflexs and baught a Praktica LTL and a Super TL. I want to use them but can't find if I can simply put a 1.5V battery as in my Spotmatic, or if it'll destroy anything. Anyone can help me???
Thanks

Stephen Brian

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marc

A common problem for the Praktica user. However it seems that the Praktica light meter circuits are based on the "bridge" circuit principle which compares the voltages across two sides of a circuit and therefore the actual voltage of the cell shouldn't matter too much.

The Praktica LTL should be perfectly happy with a 625 cell. These are now rated at 1.5 V rather than the mercury cell at 1.35V. I know that my MTL3s are fine with the standard 625 cells that cost about £5 in UK camera stores.

I don't know about the Super TL, I think they also used a 625 cell.

You could alternatively buy the much more expensive "Wien cell" (or is it Wein cell?)which is a zinc - air cell but operates at 1.35V, these are much more expensive at about £10 and aslo have a short shelf life once activated.

There is a third solution, try a google for "small battery company" they offer an adaptor for the smaller LR76 1.5V cell which tweaks it down to 1.35V, however these are very expensive at about £25! Once you have one the small cell can be replaced cheaply.

There has been some recent discussion of this point on the "Praktica User Group Worldwide" Yahoo group. It's well worth looking in on them anyway if you are starting to use these delightful old cameras.

hope this helps

Stephen

Rob

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Praktica Super TL does indeed use a 625 battery. It's a handy camera to have. It's a bit of a pain using a flash bracket (I'm too cheap to buy a screw in shoe for the viewfinder), but I've gotten some very nice results with it.

Marc

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your answers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration