Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1901 no. 4 Ansco Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » 1901 no. 4 Ansco « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Fallis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this message. Forgive me if it isn't.

I just bought a 1901 #4 Ansco folding camera on ebay. It is going to need some minor repair and restoration, but I can handle that.

The camera takes 118 rollfilm. I've checked all the sources I know of and it seems that nobody is making 118 film anywhere anymore, or cutting down film for them. However, I checked a few sites for the format size and they say it used a 3.25 x 4.25 negative frame. I DO know of a source for 122 and 103 film, which has about the same width (3.25 inches). Does anyone know if I can simply wind either of these formats onto 118 spools? I'd like to use the camera and not just have it sitting on a shelf.

don

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

118 film is the same size as 122, the spools are the same --the number spacing is different-- however I believe 122 film is about $30.00 a roll.???!!!!

10 rolls of 122 film= a Speed Graphic and a box or two of 4X5 film- a no-brainer,imo.

if you really want to use the Ansco, a roll of aero film for $109.00 will give you about 92 rolls @ $1.18 a roll( plus 46 rolls of 120)- you gotta cut and roll it yourself --I've done it--it's a hassle.

You could cut paper or film and use it single shot, or----I believe they made a GG film back for it, though they are rare.

greyhoundman

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out my Brownie conversions at my blog.
This just may work to get it shooting again.
http://greyhoundman.blogspot.com/

Charles Fallis

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greyhoundman:

That may work, but an easier way of adapting a 116 camera to 120 is to simply make spacers out of epoxy putty and attach one of these to each end of a 120 spool. I did this for an Agfa 116 folder once with good results. They engage the camera's lugs and the tops of the spools and I haven't had any trouble with them (other than figuring out the spacing for the frames). I attached square cross-section brass tubing to the inside of the frame opening of a sheet metal reducing insert to act as film rails.

Charles Fallis

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Don.

I think I'll get ONE roll of 122, just for the sheer bloody-mindedness of it, and then make some film sleeves, and use cut film in it after that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration