Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE auto-release when winding at... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon FE auto-release when winding at 1/15 shutter and faster « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank McLean

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just got a Nikon FE that I knew was jammed. Replaced the battery and tried the usual tips as shown on this site. The only thing that worked was removing the bottom cover and releasing the wind lock, winding and hey presto, mirror unlocks, shutter likewise, all good.
Except... now if the shutter is at 1/15 or faster, the first push fires as usual, but then winding on causes the mirror to flip and shutter to fire (auto-release?), winding on again engages the wind lock and can fire as normal. This repeats, so fire->wind->auto-release->wind->fire->wind->auto-release (ad nauseum) Speeds 1/8 or slower are fine.
Anybody got any ideas? This is a fine little camera, it looks great - be nice to get it working.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

PS People, can I respectfully ask that you refrain from simply posting 'take it to a repair shop', as this will be obvious if no-one comes up with anything else. :-)

Frank McLean

Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, with a lens on, it auto-releases every single wind at every speed. My previous post was using just the body...

Ed

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using a Nikon lens or an after market lens? Some after market lenses have diaphragm setting/releasing mechanism springs that are too strong and won't allow the release lever corresponding in the mirror box to operate properly--kind of hard to explain, but try another lens and see what happens.

Frank McLean

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ed,

Thanks for replying. No, it's a Nikon Nikkor lens, but I think that's a red herring anyway. It happens *more often* with a lens on, but still 80% of the speeds with just the body.

Frank

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration