Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon T80 not autofocusing. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon T80 not autofocusing. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dave rowe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just picked up a Canon T80 from a boot fair for £5.It was with some junk and covered in dust.Took it home and put batteries and film in.It seems to be 95% working!The problem is it doesn't seem to be autofocusing.Any help please?I've read the manual but cant't find anything about any troubleshooting.Have I set the camera up correctly or is it something else? Plastic bit of the shutter button is missing.Anyone happen to have a spare please?Thanks in advance Dave.

Ben

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have an AC lens mounted on the camera? The T80 will only autofocus with three specially made Canon lenses(50mm 1.8, 35-70 3.5-5.6, 75-200 4.5), all of which have a large hump on the side where the autofocus motor is contained.

Beyond that, do you get the in focus indication in the viewfinder when you half press the shutter button?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

If the camera does have the correct type of lens fitted and it is not working, I can supply you with the Canon repair sheets for the AC lenses.

Glenn.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the selector switch on the lens in the "manual" position? You want "one shot" or "servo" for the autofocus to function. Remember, you can still use the camera as a manual focus (some of us actually prefer this) camera. The T80 will accept all Canon FD mount ("New" and "Breech") manual focus lenses and performs like a bulky T70.
If you had access to a (functional) spare AC lens you could determine if it, or the camera, was at fault. Failing that, you'll need a service manual and multimeter.

Dave Rowe

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben:-It's an AC 35-70mm.
Glen:-I would appreciate the repair sheets Thanks.
Doug:-Just tried it on one shot.It takes photo but still doesn't autofocus.I've got a canon eos 300 with af lens,would that work.Could you explain what FD mount and "new" and "breech" mean ,please?I've got a multimeter.

David Rowe

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slightly pressing shutter button shows flashing "P" in viewfinder.Love the weight of the T80 compared to the EOS 300,feels like a real camera!

Ben

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,
Your EOS camera uses EF mount lenses, which are different from FD lenses in more ways than one and pretty much totally incompatible.

As for "new" vs. "breech" mount, there were two different styles of lenses in the FD mount. When FD lenses were first introduced, they all had a silver(or black, in some third party lenses) rotating ring at the back, or breech, of the lens. When mounting the lens, you would line the red dot on this ring up with the index mark for the aperture ring, put the lens on the camera, and then turn the ring to secure the lens in place. Your auto-focus lens is in the new FD style, where the entire outer barrel of the lens rotates when mounting it.

Please disregard what I said about the in-focus indicator. I was confusing the T80 with the older AL-1, which does have an in-focus indicator(electronic rangefinder) but is not compatible with any autofocus lenses.

The only other thing I can think of trying would be to carefully clean the contacts in the camera body and on the lens with a cotton swab and alcohol, or maybe a pencil erasor(used very, very carefully).

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Send me your address via email. Check all contacts for corrosion, but clean well in any case. Most likely cause is lens itself. Do not fiddle with it until you get the pages from the manual. I will also enclose some notes on where to look.

I will try and do this as soon as I get your address but rather busy at moment, so rattle my cage next weekend if you have not heard from me!!

Glenn.

David Rowe

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn.Already cleaned the contacts but wont go no further yet..Email:=[email protected]

David Mummery

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
I have 3 Canon T80s, two of which function perfectly with and without the matching AC lenses.
One camera, however, has an odd fault:
new batteries appear to discharge very quickly when the camera is switched on. Camera will fire just once or twice before battery check shows batteries flat. Then camera just makes a sick click when I attempt to expose. Seems like a straightforward short-out, but where could it be? All obvious battery terminals are clean. Any ideas and or experienced shared would be very welcome. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration