Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Soldering K1000 battery terminal wire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Soldering K1000 battery terminal wire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an extra K1000 in awesome shape minus the battery wire...corroded and fell of. who here knows what type of solder to use to reattch it or any other tip (should i replace the wire? what kind?).
i tried soldering it at work, but i think it's the wrong kind because it did not adhere and it smelled quite toxic so i think i mixed the weong metals together! any advice would help.

i have another conversation to start about a stuck asa dial on another k1000 i have.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing will stick to the corroded wire. You need to cut back the wire until you get to clean copper - possibly as much as 2 inches - and solder in a fresh wire from there back to the battery box. Standard solder is the right stuff. Use a separate flux to make it stick more quickly.

Ed

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you want rosin core solder--not acid core

ColdJoint

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same recommendation with separate flux, don't use acid (plumbing) flux... unless you want to have to replace the wire again in the near future.

paul

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the suggestions. i think it's best for me to get a fresh wire just to make this fix worthwhile/longlasting since i'm in there. any suggestions as to what gauge/type of wire to use? thanks, -paul-

Doug Wilson

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recommend a 15 Watt (MAX) iron with a very fine tip. If you are in the US, go to Radio Shack for your solder. Be carefull around electronics, "tin" your new wire first. You want to get in and out of there fast with the iron, the fine tip helps transfer heat quickly.

rick

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

24 gauge is probably good - you could go smaller as far as the current is concerned, but this gives you enough metal in the wire for durability.

paul

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks again for the replies. even though those soldering suggestions are helpful, i meant the wire in the camera that corroded...i think i'll replace that, with.... thanks!

josh

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just made the exact same repair on a K1000. There wasn't much room to solder the existing wire to the battery plate so I ended up soldering a seperate fresh wire to the bottom of the plate, screwing the plate back into place and then joining the new wire to the old one. These are tiny litle wires so take your time and be gentle.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration