Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

K1000 ASA dial STUCK Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » K1000 ASA dial STUCK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

paul

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another k1000 i have has the ASA dial not turning. the shutter speed selection works fine, and it doesn't sound like any dirt or anything got in, but who here knows what it could be? i may have to open it up, but any tips regarding the easiest way to do that would be appreciated.

p.s. who here knows where i can get a simple camera repair tool kit? i tried ebay but no luck. and i don't want to spend a lot of money. just proper small drivers and whatever is used to unscrew the top of teh k1000 shutter dial etc.

thanks a lot,
-paul-

rick

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you unable to lift the rim of the dial, or can you lift it but the ASA dial still doesn't unlock? In either case I suppose, you probably need to take the lid off the dial and look. I use a pair of sharp pointed tweezers to get the little pin face screws out.

The shutter speed dial is constructed similarly to the Spotmatic shown at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-113.html - you don't have to remove the set screws in the sides, just the top center screw.

Micro-tools has a good selection of tools, across a broad range of prices.... also Radio Shack and hobby stores usually have things like screwdrivers. I've found the Wiha screwdrivers outlast the cheaper brands to the extent that you save money with them - plus they're stronger and you can trust them to crank out a tight screw better than most. For ring spanners, it's good to have one or two regular ones (I just have the basic $15 kind) but i also have a bunch of cheap long nose pliers that I've ground the tips on to fit various rings... some of them I've also heated in a propane torch and bent the tips into odd shapes to reach difficult places and sizes.

paul

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the ring lifts up, but the asa selector does does engage/move. i'll try to unscrew the top like you suggested, and will post the outcome. i just have to find something around here to do it with...

paul

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, i took it apart, found a couple pieces of sand inside, blew it out and put it back together...
but when i lift the dial the asa dial inside still doesn't want to turn. i tried putting the spring the other way around...still nothing. anybody have a tip here? thanks, -paul-

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration