Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 film advance problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 film advance problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J Greene

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Canon AE-1 camera. It has been a wonderful camera, but the last time I used it (several years ago) it would advance the film 2 or 3 pictures instead of just 1. Now, the film advance lever will not work at all. I don't know anything about the camera, so I know I couldn't fix it myself, but is this an expensive problem to fix if I take it to a shop? Would it even be worth it? I would appreciate any input into this.

Ed

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when it advances too many frames, does the shutter trip each time as you wind?

J Greene

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been such a long time since I've used it, so I'm not sure. I do remember that the number of pictures in the window would go ahead 2 or 3 more. I can't check the shutter trip now because the film advance lever will not go more than half-way over.

rick

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You think it might already be cocked and the shutter won't fire because the battery is dead?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not know situation in US, but here in UK one can buy a working AE-1 for less than the price of a 'proper' CLA and that is without spare parts entering the equation.

So if you are not inclined to DIY and all simple remedies fail, sell it for spares and replace.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick is most likely correct, if you replace the battery you will fix the "stuck" advance lever (DON"T FORCE IT!). It is already cocked but the shutter stops functioning when battery voltage drops to 5.0-5.2 volts (the meter should still function because it runs on much less).
Ed also makes a good point:
I don't think it is possible to advance more than one frame unless the shutter is fired. If your relying on the frame counter and not your negs, I would suspect the gears that drive the film counter, or the film door is not depressing the little "pin" that engages the film counter possibly allowing the counter to "slip."
I'll wager that if you shoot a roll of film you'll find that there are no "missing" frames.

J Greene

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all. I appreciate your help. The battery was indeed low. My husband and I purchased the camera at a yard sale a few years ago and we weren't even aware that it had a battery. I have replaced the battery and everything seems to being working properly. I am in the processing of shooting a roll of film. So far, it is advancing as it should.

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a cannon AE-1 that will not advance at all. If the battery is dead, will this be the same case?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If camera shutter is cocked and battery dead then wind on will be 'locked', as Rick stated above. Try a new battery and see what happens. If still jammed; I would check the shutter release switch first and if this did not sort problem then I would see if release magnet was stuck/inoperative.

It is possible that the actual wind mechanism has jammed/broken. If the wind on was rough or felt 'gritty' then this is highly possible - only you will know the actual state of the wind on prior to the jam.

TD Clem

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your postings. I had an AE-1 sitting around for 2 years because after I bought it at a yard sale I realized the advance lever did not work. Today I see your posting, went to Radio Shack, put the battery in and presto!! I almost gave this thing away. I always wanted an AE-1 and now I have one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration