Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Isolette III body switch for 3.5/75 S... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Isolette III body switch for 3.5/75 Solinar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

samjudkins

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I bought an Isolette III with a nice 3.5/75 Solinar lens for a pretty good price because the body (door catch bent and rivets sheered off) is in horrible and unusable shape. I want to buy another body to put this lens on but I am not sure if the body is different between the ones fitted with 75mm and 85mm lenses. Do I need to find another 75mm Isolette III or will any isolette III (most of which have 85mm lenses) bodies work? Thanks for any help-

sam

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know specifically but Isolettes were also sold as Ansco Speedexes (some versions) and you may find one cheaper under that label. My Speedex has the 85mm Apotar.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may be able to adjust it to focus at the film plane, but the optics will not be ideal - 10mm is a long way off. unfortunately, the only other 75mms i think will be solinars too and so pretty expensive.

the zeiss nettar has a 75mm lens, maybe you could swap it onto one of those - you don't get the rangefinder though.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that the Isolettes with 75mm lens had a modified strut mechanism. I don't know how lens designers managed to fit lenses with different focal length to the same body but at least the Moskva 6x9 folders which came with 105 and 110mm lenses have exactly the same body dimensions. So I think it would be worth a try buying a nice Isolette III body (whatever the lens and its condition may be).

When adjusting the lens you should NOT do that by changing the position of the focus dial ring. Usually front-element focussing lenses are adjusted by adding/removing shims between the shutter flange and the lens board.

Reiner

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I have one body of an Isolette which had a 75mm-Solinar and one body which had a 85mm-Solinar. Both lenses and shutters are currently unmounted. I just measured the distance from the shutter platforms to the backdoors of both bodies. In the first case it was app. 70 mm in the second app. 80 mm. So the strut mechanism is certainly different between 75mm-Isolettes and 85mm-Isolettes. I am not really surprised. How should have Agfa fitted lenses with different focal lenghtes otherwise?

Conclusion: You MUST find a body of an Isolette which an 75mm lens on it! As Rick explained these will have a Solinar as well and likewise expensive unless the lens is damaged. Is there no chance to repair the body? Perhaps with parts of another body? These might be quite easy to come by. However I am not 100% shure if there were no Apotars with 75mm.

samjudkins

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information. I thought that might be the case. I guess that I will keep looking around for another 75mm body. Afraid that it looks like there is no chance of repair with the old one--at least with the tools I have. Thanks again for the help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration