Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG disasembling for parts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon FG disasembling for parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kerry Gauvin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm taking apart a Nikon Fg, I have removed every screw I can find but still don't know how to remove the crank and top housing. can anyone help.?

P Laskey

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the top of an FG, after taking all those screws out, remove the collar around the shutter release by applying pressure and turning with a rubber pad or block - it has a right hand thread. There may be a set screw in the side of the crank, look for this and renove before trying to remove the collar. To remove the rewind crank insert a piece of wood or metal into the forks to stop them turning and unscrew the rewind knob by hand. Remove the circlip that holds the ASA dial in and the top should come free. What is actually wrong with the camera? It may be fixable.
PL

kerry

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your help,I pick this camera up at a garage sale missing many of it's parts already
I'm going to sell what I can salvage on Ebay.
Thanks again
KG

Jack

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>remove the collar around the shutter release
>by applying pressure and turning with a rubber
>pad or block - it has a right hand thread.

Right hand thread - wouldn't that mean it loosens by turning counterclockwise? But I thought I read somewhere that the ring loosens by turning clockwise. I need to disassemble one of these myself soon. Can someone clarify?

mike

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

turn the collar clockwise to remove.

Jack

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for confirming that. I have one that's really stuck, can't seem to turn it in either direction. I'm using a kitchen gripper, but still no luck. Guess I'll have to figure a way to put more oooomph on it. :)

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"turn the collar clockwise to remove" is a bit of an understatement. Like in those Haynes car manuals when it says "rebuilding the engine/gearbox assy. is simply the reverse of disassembly". I've done a few EM's and an FG and it needs something like a chair leg with the grippiest rubber washer you can find glued to the end to force down on the collar while a willing assistant holds the camera body still. But when that collar cracks and starts to move it gives you one of those "warm fuzzy moments". Or is it just me? Best of luck anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration