Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Himatic 7s Light Meter Trouble Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta Himatic 7s Light Meter Trouble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

I just bought a Hi Matic 7s. It has a new battery and the light meter needle in the view finder moves when I move the RF back and forth across a strong light source. But the needle doesn't move at all when I change either the aperture or shutter speed on manual . I've pointed it straight at a light on f1.7 at 1/4 of a second a the needle stays right in the center of the viewfinder. And yes the ASA is set it is not in the off position. :)

Just wondering what might be the problem, I'm fairly new to RF so hopefully I'm not too confusing

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Justin,

The needle in the finder of the 7S will not move when you change the shutter or f-stop settings. It simply indicates the light level; actually it shows the light value (LV), which can be set on the camera when used in manual mode.

In the auto mode (both shutter and f-stop set to 'A'), the camera will pick the corect combination of shutter speed and f-stop to provide proper exposure.

I am quite sure that doing a thorough Google search will find you an owner's manual for the 7S.

Good luck,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Justin,

by clicking on 'Instruction Manuals' on the left side of your screen you will be able to download a manual for the Hi-Matic 7S.

Jan

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 7s meter is active in manual mode, but as you might have noticed the needle points to EV (exposure value) figures and does NOT display aperture or speed values.

So of course the EV value (given by the lighting situation) will not change when you turn the dials. For correct manual aperture turn the dials such that the small window on the dials shows the same EV figure as indicated in the viewfinder.

Justin

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys I kicked myself last night when I finally figured out how to use it properly. I didn't realize the cutout on the lens barrel had to match the needle to set the exposure. I feel dumb now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration