Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica 35-SE - how do I open this Cit... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Fujica 35-SE - how do I open this Citizen MLT shutter?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Powne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks, just bought this camera on EBay for $3.00, and it has cleaned up pretty well.
I know these are not common and have searched the archives without success. Everything works except the slow speeds 1/15 and less. The escapement obviously needs cleaning, but when I removed the front lens cell I was confronted by a very unusual setup and am unsure how to proceed. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Howard

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Howard, do not expect too much, almost nobody cares for Fujicas, although they are great cameras and fun to repair (like the Compact Deluxe/ V2). I'm sorry I cannot offer any specific info on the 35 SE.
Try this link http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/restorelink.htm and gather as much info on the dismantling of Fujicas as possible, the ones with thumb wheel focusing ( no matter whether selenium od CdS metered) are quite similar inside. There is two things you have to be careful about. Make sure you do not lose the steel ball for the aperture click stops in the lens barrel. The sturdy slothead screw under the viewfinder has a left-handed thread. The citizen shutter is a bit tricky, too, as there is a linkage between the self-timer housing and the cocking device; without it the shutter does not work! Hope this helps a bit, W.

Wayne

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard

I repaired a Fujica 35-ML recently (similar, but no meter); maybe the SE disassembles the same way? I couldn't work out how to get into the shutter at first, but I found that the whole outer trim ring (where it says "Citizen mxv") unscrews allowing further access to the shutter. Is this the stage you're at, or have you already gone beyond this? I was trying to pry up the nameplate thinking it was glued on (and that there might be notches underneath), but it turns out it's all one piece and unscrews. You need a friction tool of some description - I used a large rubber stopper.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
wayne

wayne

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard

Some slight corrections to what I wrote above - I'm at home now so I can look at the camera to jog my memory. I got the front lens group out using the two notches in the inner trim ring. The shutter was then accessed by removing the whole outer ring (says "Fuji Synchro MXL" on mine) using a friction tool. The outer ring includes the threaded part that the inner ring screws into - it's all one piece. I was looking at pics on the web to work out how I went about it when I wrote the post above, so some of the details weren't quite correct.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

Howard Powne

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Werner & Wayne. Thanks for the replies. Firstly Werner I looked at the site but unfortunately there was nothing similar to my shutter. Wayne, I have successfully removed the front lens module as you describe and have cleaned various other japanese shutters before. The difference with this one is that instead of seeing the wavy nut holding on the front shutter plate, this one also has a flange around the outside with 5 screws holding what looks like straps about 1/4" wide vanishing into the depths around the shutter cylinder. This model was made in 1958 approx, and has the aperture and speed rings linked which move in opposite directions. The whole unit rotates to set the shutter speed so I assume these straps are some sort of linking mechanism. My problem is I'm not sure if I undo these screws if I will ever be able to get the whole thing back together.
regards, Howard

Wayne

Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard

OK, you've got the lens elements and trim rings out of the way. Those two little brackets have to come off to enable you to get into the shutter. It's a bit fiddly to get it all back together because you have to get them into position in such a way that you can still get the full range of EV values when you turn the shutter and aperture rings. I didn't take notes when I took it apart, but with a bit of thought it wasn't too hard to get it all lined up correctly upon reassembly. Nothing can go too wrong - at worst you'll have to have a few goes at getting the right orientation. If you want more specific info I can easily take the front off mine to refresh my memory. I'm in Australia too by the way.

Cheers
Wayne

Howard

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne. I put the camera together again but will get onto it in the next few days. I'll post my results when I do. By the way I'm in Melbourne "The world's most livable city".
regards, Howard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration