Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-1n Olympus shutter only firing on ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » OM-1n Olympus shutter only firing on highest speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arnie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, My OM1n has been great until it recently developed a shutter speed problem. It fires on what looks to be the 1/1000/second speed, no matter where the speed control ring is set (including bulb). The ring is engaging prooperly with the speed escapement gear with no problem there.

I've read the article on accessing the shutter speed escapement under the mirror box floor to clean and lubricate it. The fix doesn't look hard to do... but does anyone know of an easier way to solve the shutter problem? Thanks.

rick

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the problem is in the escapement, which sounds likely, there is no way to fix it other than going to the escapement.

However, this is almost embarrassingly easy to reach in the OM1. Look in the mirror box and you'll see two thin velvet strips running along the bottom edge of the side walls. These are ALL that holds the floor in. Peel them off, lift the floor up and pull it out and you're there. Hardest part of the job is the chance that the adhesive on the strips may not be good enough to just stick them back in, in which case you'll have to come up with a substitute.

Arnie

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, Thanks so much for your advice on the OM-1. I repaired the camera last night with no problems at all. Used a small, sharp-pointed dental pick to remove the velvet strips and also to push under the floor to separate it from a couple of glued areas. I don't know exactly what caused the malfunction, but a Ronsonol flush and some very light oiling at key areas made the shutter work fine again.

petros

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I was given as a present an Om1 modified for the new alcaline batteries. At first I could only use the meter in stop down mode and after a while the needle got stuck in the upper position. Only for asa 25 do I get some response but yet no accuracy. I' ve checked in asa 1600 bulb and f8 the needle with the meter off and points over the middle. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and if I can get it fixed. Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration