Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

TLR focusing problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » TLR focusing problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a nice Super Ricohflex TLR camera recently, and everything on it works smoothly. I ran a roll of film through it to try it out, and noticed that each negative was focused at about 6 feet. The viewing lens was focusing currectly, because I could turn it in or out-however, the taking lens must not have been focusing.

When I look at the camera from the side, and focus in and out, the viewing lens moves in and out fairly noticably....However, the taking lens barely moves...just spins.

Is there some things I could try to do to fix this? I didn't pay much for the camera, so some things I can do myself would be great. Thanks

M Currie

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those old reflexes with a gear that connects the two lenses can do this, if the focusing helical threads of the taking lens get very stiff. The geared portion of the taking lens is a sleeve that bears on the actual lens with several tiny setscrews, which can slip if the lens gets too stiff.

I had a very old Ricohflex with a similar problem, and if yours is similar, you should be able to loosen those setscrews and simply remove the outer portion, and beneath that you should find the focusing threads exposed. You should then be able to put a dab of lubricant on the threads and work it in.

However, before doing this you might try just tightening the setscrews and see if you can limber it up with a little exercise.

Either way you'll then have to reset the focus distance of the taking lens, since it has already slipped. You can use ground glass on the film plane to set the infinity focus.

Ryan

Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anybody had some advice in repairing a jammed shutter for a super richoflex camera?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration