Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

1901 Ansco no. 4 Vest Pocket Camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » 1901 Ansco no. 4 Vest Pocket Camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Fallis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought an Ansco no. 4 Vest Pocket Camera, from ebay, made in 1901. Someone has removed all of the covering from it and I want to replace it. Does anyone know whether the original covering was leather or leatherette? I am presuming it was leather, since the camera body has rounded corners and I think that leather would be much easier to mold to fit these corners. I may be mistaken though.

It is also missing the slotted strut that supports the rail bed. I believe I recall seeing similar struts used on wooden boxes (years ago)Would a hardware store be likely to carry something similar that I could use as a replacement, or would I have better luck looking in a hobby/craft store?

Charles Fallis

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I found out the covering was leather. Turns out the piece of hardware I want is called a "straight friction lid support." Ony problem is that the hardware stores here only sell them in 6-inch lengths. I need one that is about four inches.

Debra Hope

Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Dad has an Ansco 35 mm camera that needs repair. He sent it to the address on the manual that it came with. The box was returned as "undeliverable", so he asked me to go online and see if I could find a current address. Now, neither of us are camera or photography buffs, and what I seem to be finding out is that Ansco cameras are antique collector's items. Does that mean the company is no longer in business? I would appreciate some enlightenment. Does the company still exist, and if so, does anyone have a current address, or even a website I could visit?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra:
I'm afraid Ansco went out of business sometime around 1990. If you can't fix it yourself, you'll have to find someone who does vintage camera repair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration