Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OMPC--Rewinder stuck, mirror ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus OMPC--Rewinder stuck, mirror up, batteries test good. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mickey Via

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing that the rewind was stuck,I bought an Olympus OMPC at a yard sell because it came with a TOKINA AT-X 28-85mm lens. Cosmetically the camera is otherwise very good. I have zero experience in camera repair, but would enjoy starting and saving this camera. Yesterday I read many of your forum discussions on this topic, but did not find a discussion of an OMPC with this problem (although it was discussed in OM 1's & 2's). I would appreciate comments from your group as well as reference(s) for instuction/repair information. Thanks for any advice and help your forum can offer. Mickey.

Michael Linn

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, but I have to ask this...

Do you mean the rewind or the wind?

This camera is completely non-functional without the proper number of fresh 1.5 volt batteries installed.

When working, it is a pleasure to use and the Tokina lens should do a good job. Let us know.

Mickey Via

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are so right, it is the wind that will not move. However, the rewind button is down and will not pop up. I tested batteries good at 1.5V (which are a year old). I will get a fresh set, try that, and let you know. Thanks.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never had an OMPC; do you have to reset the shutter after changing batteries like you do with an OM2? In that one, after changing batteries the mirror will remain locked up until you turn the shutter speed dial to B.

Mark Wood

Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I recall, I think the OM-PC (OM-40) resets when you move the mode selector switch to the battery check position.

Mickey Via

Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not find B on shutter speed dial, but I have tried changing shutter speed full range without wind response. The mode selector will not turn to check. Too intertwined for this beginner in camera illness.

Arnie

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The B setting is right next to the 1 second speed on the shutter speed dial. There might be some dirt obscuring the B.

My OM-PC had the same problem, rewind button stuck down and advance lever jammed, shutter wouldn't fire. I put good batteries in, set the speed dial on B, and started gently poking around at parts with the bottom removed. There was a lever near the center of the camera that clicked when I moved it and unlocked the mechanism. The important thing is to use only light pressure on those parts when poking around.

Mickey Via

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks one and all for your help. Essentially, you all were unanimously correct. After trying palm smacks with the camera and removing base cover with gentle wiggling of all rods,gears, etc., repair was by simply inserting 'new batteries'. I was slow to do so because the old batteries both tested 1.5 volts.
FYI, there is no B or 1 on the shutter speed dial of either of my OMPCs. Must be another OM model. Thanks again for your advice.

Amateur
Tinkerer
Username: Amateur

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have an Olympus OMPC, but I am selling it, but there is one problem the mirror that reflect objects won't stay down. I tried fixing it (here in Jamaica) but it did't last. How easy is it for this to be corrected. I do need to sell this beautiful camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration