Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD bayonet lens reassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon FD bayonet lens reassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Malcolm Campbell

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been trying to learn classic camera repair to help maintain my collection. Although I have some success with bodies, I'm still a
real novice at lenses.

I have a newer Canon 50mm FD (bayonet mount) that was not working, so I removed the rear mounting ring and the plate which contains the 2 actuating levers. I found a lot of debris under that plate which I cleaned out and was sure I had fixed it. Although reassembly seemed
pretty straight forward (I did no further disassembly), it didn't work when I had it back together. In fact, it hung up on the body and I
had to remove the mounting plate to get it off.

I've had it apart and back together dozens of times, trying different approaches, with similar results. Apparantly I'm missing something important having to do with the relative positions of the cams and levers.

Can anyone help me with the reassembly process? I have a repair manual I bought for FD but it's for breech-lock and doesn't seem to show me what I need.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Malcolm

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some sketches that I think will help.

If the diaphragm is sticky, this is reached from the front; so you may still have to do that. But first you will want to get the back end back together properly so it stops hanging the body up.

Email me if you'd like the sketches....

rick

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait a minute: you have the CD! look under canon/SLR/Lenses/FD Baynoet.

: ) =

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With rear mount plate off:

Rotate the diaphragm-cam ring until its cam surface is against the cam follower.

Seat the rear-mount plate by feeding its forked lug over the tab on the diaphragm-cam ring - the forked lug must also be CLOCKWISE of the adjustment lug ( small metal plate held by two screws on the cast alloy coupling ring.)

Make sure that the flat lug on the rear-mount plate is COUNTERCLOCKWISE of the tab on the diaphragm-control ring. (Move the lever on rear plate if needed as you locate the assembly)

Rotate rear-mount plate CLOCKWISE until latch on locking ring drops into engagement. Replace the bayonet ring.

Depress the latch and rotate the rear-mount plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE until the red dots are aligned.

Job done!

(This holds for all new FD mounts except 500mm/f8 Reflex)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration