Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Diomatic shutter problem, can't... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kodak Diomatic shutter problem, can't remove the center lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Williams

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am unable to remove the middle glass from a Kodak Tourist Folding Camera with a Kodak Anaston 105mm f6.3 lens in a Kodak Flash Diomatic Shutter.

The front and rear elements screwed out easily enough but the middle piece appears to be pressed in. I have posted pictures here Kodak Camera http://www.daniel-williams-photos.com/Kodak_Tourist_Camera/index.html

I want to convert this camera to pinhole and zone plate so I don't mind damaging the lens if I must but I do want to protect the shutter.

A search of the archieves produced one refference but didn't really help.

Dan

Ed

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a lot of the older Kodak cameras had the second front element group installed and removed by means of a tool that I would an expanding (rather than contracting) collet. You insert tool in the lens after removing the front element and a handle with the proper diameter expander is inserted and tightened--then the tool is rotated cw and then lens unscrewed. Normally this does not damage the threads in the lens. An alternative to having this tool would be to carefully drill opposing dimple holes in the flange and using a proper spanner to remove the lens. THESE LENSES ARE NOT PRESSED IN.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes you can get the center lens out by using a rubber stopper on the flange. Press the stopper down firmly and turn. If that doesn't work, you'll have to do what Ed describes.

Dan Williams

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the answers. I haven't done anything rash. The camera is still sitting here on my desk awaiting its fate. The idea of taking a hammer to this thing just goes against the grain. I have tride applying as mutch priction as I can to turn the lens without some better mechanical purchas. I think I will give the dimples and spanner a go. Or maybe I'll just put this back together and let it be. I just picked up a Busch 2-1/4 x 3-1/4. I can unscrew the elements from it without damaging the camera.

I have to say, the people on this site are a valuable resource. I was advised to check here by a member over on the APUG site, Paul Ron. A tip of the hat to him.

Dan

John Shriver

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there's enough metal, cut a slot with a jeweler's saw, then put your lens spanner in the resulting slots. I opened a very stubborn shutter on a Vigilant Six-20 this way.

John Shriver, e-mail at
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Dan Williams

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to thank the members here for helping a passerby.

I finally took a wooden dowell and set it against the backside of the element. A light tap with a hammer and the element popped out. No marks on the element and no damage to either diaphram or shutter. Using the same method, I was able to remove the front lens from the mount I had previously unscrewed to from the camera.

I made a 105mm f112 11 segment zone plate that I am able to hold in place with the front element monting ring. I have only shot one test roll so far but it works.

Again, Thank you for your help.

As a surprise, I also won a Busch Pressman 2-1/4x3-1/4 camera that I was sure I would not win on ebay. I won it for a very low price - the rangefinder is screwed up - there is a lucite bar with distances marked on it the rides over an engraved set of distances on the bed rail. Only one set at a time is clearly superimposed over the other. I take this to be the distance of focus. Since this is veriable and my other camera is not, I may make a zone plate camera out of it -- I do not need to destroy the lenses to do this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration