Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Disassembly of Nikon Nikkormat FT2 fo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Disassembly of Nikon Nikkormat FT2 for shutter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthijs Abma

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last week I found a Nikkormat FT2 at my parents home. It was my fathers first respectable SLR, but some years ago the shutter stopped working and he went on to something else.

Since the self timer is locked at an angle of -45 degrees, I think something is wrong with the physical part (that looks like a pleonasm) between the shutter release button, the timer and the shutter itself. When I press the release button after pulling the film advance lever, it feels a little heavier than without pulling the advance lever, but in neither of these two cases the mirror or the shutter moves. The timer can be moved about 1mm in both directions (just removed the timer lever and this 1mm appears to be just tolerance in the lever itself), but it is impossible to push it back in its original position.

According to this photo, I found on the website of a camera repair company, the timer/shutter mechanism is completely at the back of the body: Nikkormat FT2 disassembled

My question is: how do I get there as quickly as possible? I already figured out how to remove the top cover (with the release button and the advance lever). But I don't know how to continue. The screws in the bottom are very hard to remove (at the moment I don't have a good enough screwdriver for them since they are extremely small and they are very rigid, same for the screw at the bottom of the lens mount). The black screws inside the lens mount (right before the mirror) are also very rigid (lost the tip of my screwdriver in one of them) and I don't know if the mount has to be disassembled anyway.

I hope someone can help me with this one, since I am not that much of a camera expert, but I think it would be great if this SLR cloud be used again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthijs Abma

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since this post was first posted in the "Restoration" section and is moved to "Maintenance & Repair", it appears at the bottom of the topic list and the topic tree. I hope it will be a little higher after this kick (sorry for the extra post).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration