Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG locks up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon FG locks up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Kuske

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon FG in like new condition. It will work fine if no batteries have been in it for a while but if not used for a few hours the shutter and aperature will lock up half way through a picture. The shutter and aperature release upon switching to M90. The manual setting works everytime. If the batteries are left out for a few hours and then put back in the camera it works fine for a while then locks up. Any ideas?

Jack

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't point you to an exact component, but it sounds as though the internal circuitry might be draining the batteries. When you remove them, and they sit for a few hours, they recover sufficiently to power the camera again. To determine if this is indeed what's happening (and assuming you don't have a voltmeter), I would recommend purchasing a second set of batteries as a substitute. When the camera fails using the first set, immediately remove the batteries and install the fresh set.

Alternatively, it's possible this is simply a component failing after being on for a while, but without directly affecting the batteries. You could try warming the body with a blow dryer to see if it accelerates the failure.

In any event, these bodies are relatively inexpensive now. Given their internal complexity (as it relates to service cost) and the lack of new parts, you'll probably be better off purchasing a replacement FG if this is anything internal to the camera.

Steve Kuske

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,
I will try that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration